John Deere 790 vs Kubota L2800 vs Kioti DK35

/ John Deere 790 vs Kubota L2800 vs Kioti DK35 #11  
I don't know much about your borders or the type of ground that is involved, but seems to me that once you build the borders, and then knock them down to rebuid,it should make it easier to do the 2nd time, not sure 35 to 45 HP is necessary to do that + those are pretty big for mowing (IMHO) but that is what i think, you don't think a slightly smaller machine would work? might save you a few $$$ and be better suited for your over all uses

/ John Deere 790 vs Kubota L2800 vs Kioti DK35 #12  
I don't know about New Mexico, but my lawn is way too soft to even think about mowing with a tractor that large. I mow my lawn with a Deere LT160 and I try not to drive my Kubota B7610 across the lawn in the same area too many times.

Granted, the northwest (at least my lawn) is probably softer than most areas in New Mexico, but it seems to me that any lawn would be damaged by a 4000 lb machine, regardless of the type of tire.

Bonehead

/ John Deere 790 vs Kubota L2800 vs Kioti DK35 #13  
The Kubota and JD are both under 30 HP. For your kind of hard soil I would stick with what the local people recommended. You will always appreciate having more HP.

/ John Deere 790 vs Kubota L2800 vs Kioti DK35 #14  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Kioti DK35 4WD, Top end front end loader, 5' Kioti box blade, and rotary cutter. They do not make a border disc. Price $17,600.)</font>

That is a good price on the DK 35. It is a real nice machine.
I have owned one for just under 4 years and 700 hours. Real pleased with it. I run a 6' boxblade and 6' brush mower with no problem.
May be a bit large for 4 acres though.

/ John Deere 790 vs Kubota L2800 vs Kioti DK35 #15  
All are good choices. Even if they have enough power, you will need to add weight to the Kubota and John Deere to do as much with your disk as the Kioti will do without extra weight. Good luck!

/ John Deere 790 vs Kubota L2800 vs Kioti DK35 #16  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( All of the dealers say this is the smallest tractor that will serve my needs. Most recomend a 35 HP or 45 HP for the border disking. 4WD and power is a must to break this dirt and build those borders. My neighbors 25 HP tractor is unable to do it. )</font>

If I was you I would take a step back and don't look at the initial task at hand. I personnally think your a tad bit on the gigh side. Yes you may need the larger heavier tractor to start this task but once you have it broken you could get by with a smaller tractor. I won't say anything about the Kubota cause I am not familiar with it. The John Deere 790 is a bit light but you can add some weight to it. the Kioti probably is the best for the task at hand but when you get to the mowing stage your going to be unhappy. It is just too heavy. I have a TC29D that I mow with and I really have to be careful on the wetter days and even now in the fall it never really dries up enough. But I bought mine for other uses also and needed a heavier loader. So I managed to find a happy medium. So I think. Again the 790 you can add weight but you can't take any weight off of the Kioti for mowing.

Again take a step back and do some more thinking. I would seriously look at renting a larger tractor and then buying something a bit smaller to handle your needs. Or even have it hired out. This sounds like a common process for your area so there should be rigs around to rent or to hire out. Typically people here on TBN buy too small then they are sorry for not buying big enough. I think your buying too big, just my opinion. Mistakes are costly. There is guys here that have sub-compacts and 10 acres and are happy.

Take your time and if your dealers and pushing big then maybe you need to look at some different dealers and maybe even look at what your neighbors are doing.

murph