John Deere 790 would not turn over

/ John Deere 790 would not turn over #1  

Phillip in SC

Tractor
John Deere 790
I have read many post on this site in the past usually when I, my father or my brother in law are having problems with one of our tractors. I have never posted before because I usually have questions and no answers. I would like to say thanks to all of the knowledgeable posters who have answered many of those questions.

Today my father was pulling up a small dead stump in his yard when his JD 790 died. He said that it had turned over a few times but it would do nothing by the time I got there. We tried jumping it even though we felt like the battery was good and still nothing. He thought it might be in the seat safety switch or in the ignition switch. I checked the headlights and found no lights were working. He started checking fuses while I got out my phone and searched here for similar problems.

I found an old thread with a few post mentioning bad connections of the battery cables so even though they looked good we took the cables off the battery and cleaned them. When he turned the key it buzzed and the headlights came on for about 2 seconds then it was dead again. He said as long as we are at we should clean the end of the negative cable attached to the tractor so I did and when I turned the switch she fired right up.

We would have cleaned the battery post anyway but if I had not came on this site and read those old post I don't know if we would have cleaned that last connection.

Thanks for the help.

/ John Deere 790 would not turn over #2  
(y)
Phillip here‘s a great spot to introduce yourself to everyone.

May I be the 1st to say Welcome! :)

Last edited:
   / John Deere 790 would not turn over #3  
G'day Mate and welcome to TBN from Downunder.

Enjoy the site (more, now that you're 'posting' :)) from wherever in the world you are.

/ John Deere 790 would not turn over #4  
Welcome
have had same problem with my tractor