John Deere B (1949, wide front)

/ John Deere B (1949, wide front)
Thanks. Always interested in good stuff that TBNers have come up with. Looking forward to the pics and data.

/ John Deere B (1949, wide front) #12  
10 inches top horizontal
24 inch vertical lift arms
28 inch horizontal draft arms
All are 2 1/2 x 1/2 inch metal.
Very basic info, but if your interested I can get more detailed as well as
measure the top link mount

Attachments

• image-2274208551.jpg
    image-2274208551.jpg
    392.8 KB · Views: 365
Thanks for the info and the photo.
I've seen this design before and have doubts about the strength of that frame that supports the two lower lift arms--it looks like it's made of relatively small size steel angle which seems to me to be a weak point in the design.

I like this design shown below. The lower arms are attached to the four studs on the axle via those two large angle assemblies.

JD-B 3pt better design (Small).PNG

/ John Deere B (1949, wide front) #14  
That's 2 1/2 inch angle bolted to the drawbar frame. As far as strength, I tested it one day with a 7 ft finish mower. Yes I know that's a hp mismatch, but I started it slow and ran it slow, plus I was looking for a reason to to drive the 50. Back to the point, it lifted the front off the ground before I added weight, then lifted the mower. Wow if I had the choice though, I like the looks of yours better. Do you have hydraulic outlets on the back?

That's 2 1/2 inch angle bolted to the drawbar frame. As far as strength, I tested it one day with a 7 ft finish mower. Yes I know that's a hp mismatch, but I started it slow and ran it slow, plus I was looking for a reason to to drive the 50. Back to the point, it lifted the front off the ground before I added weight, then lifted the mower. Wow if I had the choice though, I like the looks of yours better. Do you have hydraulic outlets on the back?

Yes, the PowerTrol hydraulics unit bolted onto the rear of the axle housing has a pair of outlets for connecting a hydraulic cylinder. IIRC PowerTrol was standard on the late model Bs (mine is a 1949).

My problem is that there are only 3 good studs on the axle now for attaching those two yellow support plates shown in the previous photo. The hole for the 4th stud has rusted threads. I'll have to ream out that hole and tap it for a Keensert or something like that so I can thread in that 4th stud. Old tractors can be a PITA at times:eek:

/ John Deere B (1949, wide front) #16  
Looking at a schematic from parts catalog I found the draft links pivot from a bracket mounted to to the drawbar frame( similar to mine). That being said I'm would think that would be plenty strong. What were you planning on lifting? Didnt know powertrol was standard on a 49 B. Do you have dummy plugs for your powertrol?

Attachments

• image-3567075411.jpg
    image-3567075411.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:
   / John Deere B (1949, wide front) #17  
Saw a 49 B tricycle with custom trailer go at auction in Stuarts Draft, VA Saturday for $4,000. It seemed to run good, but was obviously restored and used in some shows. I don't know if that was a good price and didn't have time to check, so I passed. But I was tempted.

Looking at a schematic from parts catalog I found the draft links pivot from a bracket mounted to to the drawbar frame( similar to mine). That being said I'm would think that would be plenty strong. What were you planning on lifting? Didnt know powertrol was standard on a 49 B. Do you have dummy plugs for your powertrol?

Here's a look at the rear of my JD B

IMG_2129-JD B REAR VIEW_crop.jpg

That bracket just supports the rear end of the drawbar. It may support a few hundred pounds of tongue load like you'd have with a small square baler like my MF124. But I'd like something more substantial for a 5-6 foot brush hog.

PowerTrol--just a guess that it was standard in 1949. Maybe it was PowerLift.

/ John Deere B (1949, wide front) #19  
Like I said mine will lift a 7 ft bushhog brand finish mower. I see you have the dummy plugs in. Before you ream that forth hole out, have you tried some PB blaster and an appropriate sized tap. Might be enough to clean the threads up.

Like I said mine will lift a 7 ft bushhog brand finish mower. I see you have the dummy plugs in. Before you ream that forth hole out, have you tried some PB blaster and an appropriate sized tap. Might be enough to clean the threads up.

All there was in that hole was rust flakes. No threads left in the casting.