John Deere Gator 6x4 Diesel Gator won't self prime or start

/ John Deere Gator 6x4 Diesel Gator won't self prime or start #1  

KDOregon

A farm worker ran my 6x4 diesel dry. After refueling, filling the fuel filter bowl full and pressing the lever on the fuel transfer pump hundred of times, it still will not start. Obviously starved for fuel. What else can I do? The technical manual says that the system is self priming but the lever can be used to fill the bowl. I feel no resistance in the lever even after pumping over 200 times. Any suggestions to get this baby going?

Thanks for you help.

KDOregon

/ John Deere Gator 6x4 Diesel Gator won't self prime or start #2  
Loosen a couple injector lines and try cranking until fuel comes out of the connection. When I say loosen, only loosen a turn or turn and a half. They will blow air then bubble a little fuel once fuel comes out tighten them back down and start it.

/ John Deere Gator 6x4 Diesel Gator won't self prime or start
Apparently, running the tank dry sucked up all kinds of gunk. The filter was completely clogged,covered in goo. Now, after replacing the filter I now have zero fuel at the injectors. Loosening the injectors and cranking endlessly has done nothing.Is there a fuel screen/filter at the tank supply line?

Thanks again
KDOregon

/ John Deere Gator 6x4 Diesel Gator won't self prime or start #4  
I wouldn't think there would be a strainer or screen in the tank but could be I guess. Is your supply pump running? That could of burnt up the supply pump.

/ John Deere Gator 6x4 Diesel Gator won't self prime or start #6  
Two different illustrations in previous post.

/ John Deere Gator 6x4 Diesel Gator won't self prime or start #7  
Pull the line in the tank. I can't remember if there is a screen or not, but have had this problem before with one and it was plugged at the pickup.

/ John Deere Gator 6x4 Diesel Gator won't self prime or start #8  
You could always just blow air back through the fuel line into the tank and see what is does. If it will fire up then just change the fuel filter regularly

/ John Deere Gator 6x4 Diesel Gator won't self prime or start #9  
The fuel shutoff at the filter didn't get turned to off did it ?? Did that last time I changed mine , made it about 20 feet and then remembered what I had done

/ John Deere Gator 6x4 Diesel Gator won't self prime or start
I went ahead and blew all the lines out, as a precautionary measure, but it still would not fire up. Dejected, I abandoned the effort and left everything alone for the night, figuring I'd pull the tank later - 2 of the injectors were loose. Next morning, I turned it over and it spit black smoke, then I remembered that I left 2 injectors loose. Tightened them up, fired it up and it coughed & spit then ran smooth!!! I guess the bit about self bleeding is true, though I don't know the mechanics behind it.

Anyway, she runs now - thank you all for your wise counsel and advice.

KDOregon