John Deere Jobs

/ John Deere Jobs #2  
They're just getting their back story straight for when they close the plants and move production to either Mexico or China.

Plenty of cheap labor there.

/ John Deere Jobs #3  
I think the last part of the article is often over looked by large corporations. People value stability and manufacturing has not offered that. Hire like crazy then layoff the little guy to keep stock prices up. People get tired of that kind of lifestyle. I left manufacturing over 20 years ago and have never missed it.

/ John Deere Jobs #4  
Last edited:
   / John Deere Jobs #5  
Maybe they couldn't or wouldn't pass the drug test.

Or, maybe they need to move a plant to Texas. Caterpillar dis a few years ago. Seem to be doing well.

View attachment 698327

PREVIEW

2:09
We are Caterpillar | Seguin, Texas Engine Manufacturing Facility
YouTube · Caterpillar Inc.
Sep 11, 2020

I vote for the drug test theory.
A friend of mine has a daughter that does drug testing for companies. Out of 68 applicants none passed the drug test.

/ John Deere Jobs #6  
I think the last part of the article is often over looked by large corporations. People value stability and manufacturing has not offered that. Hire like crazy then layoff the little guy to keep stock prices up. People get tired of that kind of lifestyle. I left manufacturing over 20 years ago and have never missed it.

I grew up in Waterloo (home of Deere's Tractor Works) and you are correct about peoples concern for employment stability. I also find it interesting that Deere is promoting $19/hr as a "premium wage", that's only $4 higher than minimum in some cities. Relatively speaking I believe wages were higher at Deere in the '70's but they've weakened the union through outsourcing and hiring of temps. When Deere boasts about being the employer of choice they're reflecting on a bygone era not the current state.

Additionally I suspect long lead times are (in part) the result of international sourcing. In the '60's and '70's there were many "feeder" businesses located in and around Waterloo, not so much anymore.

Last edited:
   / John Deere Jobs #7  
I grew up in Waterloo (home of Deere's Tractor Works) and you are correct about peoples concern for employment stability. I also find it interesting that Deere is promoting $19/hr as a "premium wage", that's only $4 higher than minimum in some cities. Relatively speaking I believe wages were higher at Deere in the '70's but they've weakened the union through outsourcing and hiring of temps. When Deere boasts about being the employer of choice they're reflecting on a bygone era not the current state.

Additionally I suspect long lead times are (in part) the result of international sourcing. In the '60's and '70's there were many "feeder" businesses located in and around Waterloo, not so much anymore.
Yeah, when you can make $15 working at Target, $19 is anything but premium. They’re UAW too, and without intending to be political, that would be a huge red flag for me. Start qualified people at $22 an hour and move to a low cost, business friendly state like Texas and you’ll have more workers than you could ever hire.

/ John Deere Jobs #8  
Yea, but if you hire $22 an hour workers they need to be able to produce $44 an hour worth of product/service. Finding hands that will do that is hard!

/ John Deere Jobs #9  
I vote for the drug test theory.
A friend of mine has a daughter that does drug testing for companies. Out of 68 applicants none passed the drug test.

Holy cow!

And I thought nothing was 100% anymore.

Says a lot.

MoKelly

/ John Deere Jobs #10  
Holy cow!

And I thought nothing was 100% anymore.

Says a lot.

MoKelly
The only companies who don’t have this problem with drug testing are the ones that don’t do it (i.e. most white collar jobs). There’s a good conspiracy theory in there if one was so inclined.

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

2013 Ford F750 Dump Truck, (A35430)
2013 Ford F750...
2008 Thomas 18-Passenger Bus, (A35430)
2008 Thomas...
2024 Wolverine TQH-26-01C 3-Point Hitch Trailer Mover Attachment (A35915)
2024 Wolverine...
2017 RoGator RG1100 Sprayer (A35465)
2017 RoGator...
2011 Hino 268 Van Truck, (A35430)
2011 Hino 268 Van...
Financing available! (A35465)
Financing...