Loader john deere loader joystick problems

/ john deere loader joystick problems #1  

jkb7810

Tractor
john deere 455, 2720, 4020, 7810
OK when I push the joystick all the way ahead it does not go into float. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

/ john deere loader joystick problems #2  
Try with bucket couple inches off ground and snap the lever forward into the float detent should feel it set.

/ john deere loader joystick problems #3  
Which Deere are you talking about, not going into float?

/ john deere loader joystick problems
Sorry about not getting back to you. My phone never told me that i had some else reply to this and i have not looked at my old posts for awhile .It is a John Deere 7810 with a factory joystick. It seems like it actually skips the detent. I do feel it jump and it kinda acts like it is putting pressure on both sides. I'm thinking that the joystick is wore out or needs adjusted. I just hope its not in the valving.

/ john deere loader joystick problems #5  
Just a thought. Start with it a foot or two off the ground. Push it all the way forward hard and hold it there. When it hits the ground give it a 15 or so seconds. Does it start raising the front of the tractor--it's exerting down pressure and not in the float position. If however it just sit there, it's likely in float position. You can further test if it's in float at this time by moving the bucket to dump which as the front tips down will lift the loader arms if it's indeed in the float position. As you rotate the bucket back the loader arms will go down. Now given you find it's in float when your holding the lever all the way forward but when you release the lever the lever returns to neutral then the detent is not holding it in float but float does work.

/ john deere loader joystick problems #6  
The detent is actually at the valve not the joystick. But it is repairable, there is a kit that can be bought for about $60, assuming all other aspects are working properly.

Thanks for the quick response. I will try this when I start it again. If the problem is in the linkage I will try to tackle it myself. Really hope it is. Every time it goes to JD its at least a grand or two. The one time I brought it there for a couple of oil seeps it was 12 grand later and a rebuilt tranny.

The detent is actually at the valve not the joystick. But it is repairable, there is a kit that can be bought for about $60, assuming all other aspects are working properly.

Thanks for the feed back. I do realize that it is in the valving. And $60 seems really cheap for JD. It cost around a thousand for my 67 4020 but the boxes are under the dash not stack type ( if I remember right).

All other functions work fine. I can pick up big rounds 5x6 all day long frozen together ( yes sometimes two come together kinda annoying lol) . I have a Westendorf ta 46 on it.

Edit
The joystick seems loose to me. The loader was new two years ago and hasn't had much use. I've had the tractor for around 5 years( early version.).

/ john deere loader joystick problems #9  
My tractor might as well be a new-born baby to yours but it has a loader and probably functions the same way as yours. The control has lots of play in every direction before it operates anything but it still goes into a detented float position. My posted advise to you was intended to find out: 1. is your float position not working. OR 2. is it just not holding itself in that position.

If just not holding itself in that position it's most likely a worn detent which, yes, is probably in the valve but surely fixable.
If it isn't working. Well, is the lever simply unable to push the control far enough to engage the float position? Is it for some reason it requiring excessive force to enter that position? Is the valving for this position "broke"?

Good luck.

My tractor might as well be a new-born baby to yours but it has a loader and probably functions the same way as yours. The control has lots of play in every direction before it operates anything but it still goes into a detented float position. My posted advise to you was intended to find out: 1. is your float position not working. OR 2. is it just not holding itself in that position.

If just not holding itself in that position it's most likely a worn detent which, yes, is probably in the valve but surely fixable.
If it isn't working. Well, is the lever simply unable to push the control far enough to engage the float position? Is it for some reason it requiring excessive force to enter that position? Is the valving for this position "broke"?

Good luck.

Yes, it is my baby. But all the joystick cables must be good . because the loader will still hydro down.