John Deere LX255 PTO Clutch and drive belt story

/ John Deere LX255 PTO Clutch and drive belt story #1  

Clyde the Pointer

Tractor
MF 235
I bought this mower 6-7 years ago and it's been great. 15hp Kohler motor, this is a WI unit so it's worth fixing. Couple weeks ago had to replace the fuel pump. Then the kid is mowing and boom the pto clutch commits suicide.

Deck off, piece still stuck on shaft. PB Blaster, hammer, pry bars it's off. Bought one of these off ebay: http://stores.ebay.com/PPowerSales?_trksid=p2047675.l2563
as the guys knew what they were talking about and their price was $20 better than my local dealer for a factory unit, over which these apparently are much improved. Decided to replace the drive belt, which was accomplished w/o too much trouble, disconnected a spring, and the steering linkage, it went ok. Putting it back on required moving the motor/pulley by hand and I think that was the hardest part.

New clutch on, tested the electrical, burnished according to their instructions, and it passed the test w/o issues so far. Haven't cut the lawn yet, but it didn't explode and no funny sounds/smells.

Sorry no pics it was not much fun and I don't really LIKE working on stuff, just didn't want to spend the money at some "repair place" and have to go behind them and fix their work. One casualty was the hood, which got a little beat up. Hopefully some epoxy and zip tie stitches will fix it.

Tips:

Turn mower on it's drivers side and use a 5 gal bucket upside down to hold the steering wheel. Minimal loss of tranny fluid through the breather. Remove battery.

Had a buddy help me get that old clutch off and that made a difference, being able to put pressure on two different areas.

This forum was a big help in getting me started on the belt replacement, and I just bought the Made in USA John Deere one from the dealer (65 mile round trip bike ride 4.5 hours).

Hope this helps someone. That clutch dealy is quite cool.