John Deere LX277 fuel flow issue

/ John Deere LX277 fuel flow issue #1  

Bmyles

Tractor
John deer lx277
Hi yall, I have a john deere lx277. Was running great but I let it sit for a couple years. Engine is a 17hp kawasaki. It has spark and runs. The engine fires when I spray crc engine start into it but the fuel delivery system seems redundant. The filter doesnt fill, and that is why I am here. The first thing that comes to mind is a new fuel pump. The filter is old but not blocked, all lines are clear, i tried to blow on one of the nipples of the fuel pump but couldnt. I think I have solved it but am just asking for a second opinion before I buy something. Thanks

/ John Deere LX277 fuel flow issue #2  
These things are usually very simple and have some sort of gravity feed from the tank.

Tank >> Filter >> Fuel pump.

If you're not getting fuel to the filter, you probably won't have it at the pump. My X300 doesn't really pump fuel from the tank.

In general, if you pull the line from the filter to the pump you should have free flowing fuel out of that line. Both my X300 and Craftsman do.

If you don't, and you're certain all lines are clear, you may have a blockage in the tank. Depending on what and how much and how your machine is put together, that may involve removing the tank, inverting and flushing. On some tanks, you can simply remove the outlet line and gravity will do the rest. Some JDs however use a different type of fuel pickup that prevents that. Those types of pickups can also be blocked with gunk/debris or goo from old Corn squeezins in gas.

/ John Deere LX277 fuel flow issue #3  
The fuel pump only pumps fuel when the engine is cranking and or running. The fuel filter never fills up. To get it started after sitting so long pull the feed line to the filter and pre fill it.

/ John Deere LX277 fuel flow issue #4  
The fuel pump is a simple diaphragm on most engines like this, which is actuated by a small cam or lever. I suppose it's possible it got gummed up with old fuel. They are easy to remove/reinstall to investigate before concluding parts are needed. You may also want to remove the bowl on the bottom of the carb to make sure the float moves and the inlet valve opens/closes cleanly. Those love to stick or gum up when not used.

/ John Deere LX277 fuel flow issue #5  
It's a round plastic vacuum operated rubber diaphragm

/ John Deere LX277 fuel flow issue #6  
SO you don't want to blow through the pump w/compressed air. Mouth pressure is fine. Likely your carb is gummed up. Easy on and off to service,just pay attention to detail and use your smart phone camera. Not sure, but you may need to extract the studs. If you fuel line underneath is spongy, the little pulse pump can't draw more fuel up from the tank. If you are unsure on the fuel line quality, drop a couple of feet of new 1/4" fuel line off the pump inlet into a fresh supply can for a test run.

/ John Deere LX277 fuel flow issue
Will try all of this when I am home next =).

SO you don't want to blow through the pump w/compressed air. Mouth pressure is fine. Likely your carb is gummed up. Easy on and off to service,just pay attention to detail and use your smart phone camera. Not sure, but you may need to extract the studs. If you fuel line underneath is spongy, the little pulse pump can't draw more fuel up from the tank. If you are unsure on the fuel line quality, drop a couple of feet of new 1/4" fuel line off the pump inlet into a fresh supply can for a test run.
So what I have discovered is that the carb isnt doing its job. The bowl fills but no fuel is going up the pilot jet, I took it off and cleaned briefly. Used air compressor on all jets. Put it back on and same issue. I will take it off and do a more thorough clean but if that doesnt work I dont know what to do.

So what I have discovered is that the carb isnt doing its job. The bowl fills but no fuel is going up the pilot jet, I took it off and cleaned briefly. Used air compressor on all jets. Put it back on and same issue. I will take it off and do a more thorough clean but if that doesnt work I dont know what to do.
It was a sensor in the carb bowl. Was seized. Cleaned it with brake cleaner. Runs like a charm.

/ John Deere LX277 fuel flow issue #10  
(y) (y)