John Deere "M" Proud New Owner......

/ John Deere "M" Proud New Owner...... #1  

Scotty370

Platinum Member
Tractor
318 John Deere, 4200 John Deere, 1947 John Deere "M"
Well....I guess Roger Welch's book that I posted about, put me over the edge! I am now the proud owner of a 1947 John Deere "M"!! The serial number indicates that it was the 10th one built, [SN# 10010] out of some 47,000! Must have come to life the same time I did in Spring of '47! I couldn't be happier! Hopefully, I'm accepted in the Vintage Tractors discussion group! The questions will, no doubt, never end!! Ok Guys... how do you run a brush hog with no TPH? Hyro lift.....check,......PTO,........check,....... Top Link Bracket ....... ? Duh.......Top Link Bracket?????

Any links that you guys can provide, for restoration, are much appreciated! ~"Scotty"

PS- All my same-age, RVN Vetran buddys, are buying Harley-Davidsons, and retiring. I'm still working, and bought a tractor. Should I seek psychiatric help?

/ John Deere "M" Proud New Owner...... #2  
There are aftermarket kits that can convert the JD M hitch to a standard 3pt hitch if you want. Otherwise you can just buy a pull type brush chopper and use that.

The M is a great little tractor and as long as you can get use to climbing on and off of it is a lot of fun. I still look for reasons to play with mine but it is mostly just a toy around here right now:(

/ John Deere "M" Proud New Owner...... #3  
That model will always be special for me as it was the first I ever operated (grandad replaced a team of horses with one back in 1950). That tractor is still running strong and it scares me to think of all the work it has done over the years, with minimal problems.

/ John Deere "M" Proud New Owner......
There are aftermarket kits that can convert the JD M hitch to a standard 3pt hitch if you want. Otherwise you can just buy a pull type brush chopper and use that.

The M is a great little tractor and as long as you can get use to climbing on and off of it is a lot of fun. I still look for reasons to play with mine but it is mostly just a toy around here right now:(

I'm learning about that 'climbing on/off'! Not the easiest! Gonna have to fab-up some 'cheater steps'! Found some TPH retrofit info here:

TractorData.com John Deere M tractor information

Right down at the bottom where it says 'links'

I know what you mean wolc. They just seem to keep going, and going, and.......... Thanx! ~Scotty

/ John Deere "M" Proud New Owner...... #5  
I'm learning about that 'climbing on/off'! Not the easiest! Gonna have to fab-up some 'cheater steps'! Found some TPH retrofit info here:

TractorData.com John Deere M tractor information

Right down at the bottom where it says 'links'

I know what you mean wolc. They just seem to keep going, and going, and.......... Thanx! ~Scotty

I found the easiest way to get on and off is to use the lift as a step. Once you get use to it, it gets a lot easier but the easiest way is to climb on and off the back of the tractor (at least for me. I use the steering wheel as a grab hold to steady myself. I don't know if all the M's have this but mine has a bar that comes forward of the left rear tire. It is part of the lift system and I think it is for the mounted cultivator but I have never hooked mine up to know for sure yet. But it also acts as a step if you have the hitch at the right position so that bar is down. But you will get use to it and if you have issues it won't take much to add a step somewhere to these tractors.

/ John Deere "M" Proud New Owner...... #6  
Sorry for steering off topic for a second but I just have to say that I went to the Iowa State Fair for the first time this summer and saw some absolutely incredible vintage tractors. If anyone can ever get out there, I highly recommend it! (Plus you can actually try a fried Snickers bar).

/ John Deere "M" Proud New Owner...... #7  
The M was sorta tough getting on and off and I also found the back to be the easiest. Of coarse I was a lot younger then so it was no big deal. It is not anywhere near as tough as my Allis Chalmers model C however (I welded up a little step for that one). If anyone is real worried about this issue, I suggest a Ford 9n/2n/8n. These are the easiest on/off tractors I have ever seen including brand new models. I especially like the fact that they are easy on and off both sides. On my new JD 4120, it is easy to get up some nice steps on one side but nearly impossible on the other. Old Henry was getting on in years when he designed the Ford N's, and I guess that is reflected in the ease of on/off. Some young "punks" must have designed the JD M's and AC C's.

/ John Deere "M" Proud New Owner...... #8  
Old Henry was getting on in years when he designed the Ford N's, and I guess that is reflected in the ease of on/off. Some young "punks" must have designed the JD M's and AC C's.
I thought ford borrowed the design from Fergeson?
Anyway, I know what you folks mean about the M. It is a diabolical design for mounting and dismounting, especially considering how small it is.