John Deere Model 500 Round Baler Roll

/ John Deere Model 500 Round Baler Roll #1  

TBigLug

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 401C
I have a 500 round baler and went to replace a bearing on the upper roll on the rear gate. I believe that the shaft is wore badly and needs replaced but John Deere does not stock it anymore. Does anyone know of any parts places that may have a shaft I can use? Also has anyone taken this roller out and can you give me some advice on removing it from the baler?

Thanks.

/ John Deere Model 500 Round Baler Roll #2  
I went on TractorHouse to see a picture of one. Only a couple listed, and only one of them with pics. Those things are pretty rare, I guess. If you can't get the part from Deere, you might could get one made at a machine shop.

Surely someone with more experience will reply soon.

/ John Deere Model 500 Round Baler Roll #3  
i think they are hex shafts .a bolt holds them from each side.unscrew them and the roller will fall out.i have never seen a shaft wore out just bearings.i usually take a torch and cut the bearings out.replace bearings put it back on.if you have to replace the shaft buy a hex rod ,cut it to length and tap it on both ends.

/ John Deere Model 500 Round Baler Roll
I don't think it is a hex shaft, I believe it is round. It's shown on the JD website as part #'s AE37596 or the newer number of AE36364. I'll grab some pictures (cause verybody loves pictures) when I get back out to the farm today. It's part #15 in the diagram below.

Thanks for the help so far.

Attachments

• REAR GATE.gif
    REAR GATE.gif
    24.8 KB · Views: 946
   / John Deere Model 500 Round Baler Roll #5  
i used a 510 25 years ago .it is hard to remember everything about it .the 510 was mostly hex shafts.because we broke several of them.looking at your problem.i would hold the gate up and start taking parts off until you get to the problem.

/ John Deere Model 500 Round Baler Roll #6  
Do you mean you spun the bearings on the shaft and damaged the shaft? Likely can just built it up with weld and turn it back down to original at a machine shop. Common repair.