John Deere model B

/ John Deere model B #1  

Wardo08

Tractor
Husqvarna lawn mower
Hello everyone, there’s a John Deere model B that’s for sale close to me for about $450.00. The guy has told me that he thinks the motors seized but I’m wondering maybe he doesn’t have the petcocks open and the compression is too much to turn the motor over? If it is seized is it worth $450.00 or even worth buying at all? Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you! IMG_4728.JPG

/ John Deere model B #2  
With petcocks closed, still should be able to turn (spin) the flywheel.. if not seized from my experience back in the day..
Can't tell if there is a starter and the flywheel covered from the pic.

Worth it or not is your call.. no way to tell what is "worth it" to you.. ;)

/ John Deere model B #3  
It's not running. It's been "stored" out in the weather. The tires are rotted. It looks like crap. Conclusion: it's worth scrap price at best. So $450 is reasonable.

About 10 years ago I bought a B for $1700. It was running, had reasonably good rubber, was stored indoors, had the Power-Trol hydraulics, and looked OK. The seller used it in his haying operation.

JD-B right.JPGJD-B rear.JPGJD-B left.JPG

Good luck

/ John Deere model B #4  
By the time you fix it, etc you can buy a running B with good tires. I'd pass on it unless you need parts off of it or just have to have it. When you get done with it, it's still a B and there isn't really a whole lot of demand for them. If it was something special it would be different.

/ John Deere model B
Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I really appreciate you’re input! Il let you know if I decide to go with it or not. It would be my first tractor and that’s definitely the cheapest tractor in my area. Just sucks that it’s seized!

/ John Deere model B #6  
If it's your first tractor purchase, I suggest looking at rebuild kits, getting prices from a machine shop on a bore of the block and a valve job (worst case scenario here). You'll have more in parts than they are asking for the tractor, not to mention labor. Also price some driveable B's. Sometimes the cheapest thing cost you the most.

I've restored several old tractors including the John Deere A we have now, always have more in them than they are worth.

/ John Deere model B #7  
I've restored several old tractors including the John Deere A we have now, always have more in them than they are worth.

That's something sure worth repeating.... ....about having more in a restoration than it is worth. I've done restorations, most mechanics either have or plan to. Nobody I've known has ever gone into it planning to make a profit beause that's not what it's about. Mechanics know they aren't restoring something to make money. It's more a celebration of style and ingenuity - not about profit at all.

Buying a used tractor to save money is quite different. Now that is where a mechanic can use his knowledge any maybe make a few bucks - but more often he just breaks even.

But maybe just breaking even buying used machinery is where a mechanic really comes out ahead. Buying used doesn't scare him; he can tell good from bad, and fix it if he has to.
So in return for his knowledge he gets to work and play with expensive machinery for a very modest investment.

And if he can somehow figure out a way to break even he can even get to do it again.
A guy can't ask for much more fun than that.
rScotty