John Deere wasting their $$$

/ John Deere wasting their $$$ #31  
And I was referring as to whether or not it should be the deciding factor for buying tractor X vs. Y. Having owned a number of Diez-els without this feature, I'm using to cracking open a couple of injector lines after a filter change, doesn't bother me. Only ran one out of fuel once.

Agreed it's a nice feature, and I'll concede that you guys made your points. I'm just not sure it's a feature that alot of us are benefiting from. I know I've never been 10 acres from the jerry cans, and I'll bet that's true of alot of us TBN'ers. I'm getting more use out of the linch pin/shop rag/grease tube holder...I mean cupholder.

/ John Deere wasting their $$$ #32  
I thought this was a Kubota owners forum? I think we need a kubota VS. John Deere forum or better yet an Orange VS. Green forum. :D Heck we all own tractors why argue? (other than for fun :D) we should be talking about digging stumps and tearing up the neighbors yards instead. Riiiight that'll happen!

/ John Deere wasting their $$$
wil3404 said:
I thought this was a Kubota owners forum? I think we need a kubota VS. John Deere forum or better yet an Orange VS. Green forum. :D Heck we all own tractors why argue? (other than for fun :D) we should be talking about digging stumps and tearing up the neighbors yards instead. Riiiight that'll happen!

I agree - my 60" MMM seems to have quite an appetite for my neighbor's flowers along the edge of my property - wonder if it has anything to do with that giant poison ivy "tree" thing that she can't seem to identify and won't remove?
(golly, I must have gotten the fertilizer and the poison ivy killer spray mixed up, cause that thing sure looks like it needs to be watered or something)

I tried to be a good neighbor when I pointed out the fact that it was poison ivy. :rolleyes:

/ John Deere wasting their $$$ #34  
See man thats what I'm talking about! Your actually helping your neighbor out by secretly removing the poision ivey "tree" and by helping contain the population of her of her flower garden:D

/ John Deere wasting their $$$ #35  
I'll chime in on the Jap vs. USA in production.

I spent some time in Japland while in the military. Without going into who makes the best product "x" or product "y", I'll say this:

In Japan, their culture dictates that the job makes the man. In other words, status is often judged by what you do and how well you do it. I'm not talking a few people, but the entire working population. My observations were that these people live to work, not work to live. They don't look forward to Friday (like the average American worker), they look forward to Monday. I'm not kidding folks, they are relentless in their pursuit of perfection...whether it be in automobiles, motorcycles, tractors, computer hardware, TV's...etc.

I just got off the phone with Mr. Bob Jones of Kubota, America. He is one of their "big-wigs" and works as an exec. in Kubota Parts Corp., he's been at Kubota for 23.5 years...nice guy...anyhow, he told me that 70% of Kubotas are Jap., 30% is other. Drivetrain, engine and all associated parts are Japanese manufactured, as well as the housing of said drivetrain and engine. He said you'd be hard pressed to find another manufacturer that can boast such numbers on parts which are built by the name of the manufacturer on the side of the tractor!

Oh yeah, my wife's 2007 Toyota 4runner was made, built and assembled entirely in Japland. (I added this because someone said in an earlier post something about jap vehicles not being all Japanese). All 4Runners have been built at Toyota's plant in Tahara, Aichi, Japan as well at Hino Motors' Hamura, Japan plant.

My Tacoma is made in Japan (all but the bed), but assembled at the New United Motor Manufacturing, Inc. (NUMMI) production facility in Fremont, Calif. and Toyota Motor Manufacturing de Baja California (TMMBC) production facility in Tijuana, Baja Calif., Mexico.

Not bashing anyone's tractor that's not a Kubota, or anyone's preference in tractor's. I'm just reporting my "research".

I like all tractors. Maybe in 10 years I'll buy a JD...to start my "collection";)

My opinion only...flame on.

Podunk

/ John Deere wasting their $$$ #36  
Podunkadunk said:
In Japan, their culture dictates that the job makes the man. In other words, status is often judged by what you do and how well you do it. I'm not talking a few people, but the entire working population. My observations were that these people live to work, not work to live. They don't look forward to Friday (like the average American worker), they look forward to Monday. I'm not kidding folks, they are relentless in their pursuit of perfection...whether it be in automobiles, motorcycles, tractors, computer hardware, TV's...etc.

And these are some of the reasons why Japan makes better cars, motorcycles, electronics, and compact utility tractors than America.

/ John Deere wasting their $$$ #37  
Podunkadunk said:
Drivetrain, engine and all associated parts are Japanese manufactured, as well as the housing of said drivetrain and engine. He said you'd be hard pressed to find another manufacturer that can boast such numbers on parts which are built by the name of the manufacturer on the side of the tractor!

Agreed with everything said. Kubota building Kubota tractors just makes sense, its whats giving them top notch quality at an extremely competitive price. Less middlemen to add expense and better control over quality.

/ John Deere wasting their $$$ #38  
MessickFarmEqu said:
Agreed with everything said. Kubota building Kubota tractors just makes sense, its whats giving them top notch quality at an extremely competitive price. Less middlemen to add expense and better control over quality.

Interesting that you said control over quality and not quality control.

That word control has more meaning than people realize in engineering and manufacturing.
Mike Z.

/ John Deere wasting their $$$ #39  
riptides said:
Interesting that you said control over quality and not quality control.

That word control has more meaning than people realize in engineering and manufacturing.
Mike Z.

It's hard not to think that quality is a given in all businesses today. JD, Kubota or any other major tractor company.

I don't understand prices being so different but when the delta is so big it just seems natural to buy the cheaper model.

/ John Deere wasting their $$$
Podunkadunk said:
I'll chime in on the Jap vs. USA in production.

I spent some time in Japland while in the military. Without going into who makes the best product "x" or product "y", I'll say this:

Wow, so we here in the US get to enjoy the best of the best, the Japanese work their lives away, we ge to enjoy the fruits of their labors, and we can put (hopefully) family and quality of life as priorities instead of one's work. Don't get me wrong, work can be very fulfilling and all, but more time off after all, is more seat time!!! (by the way, where the heck is my new BX seat?)
And I too have a 4Runner, great truck - I even had a Toyota mechanic tell me one day on the sly, that you WANT the Toyotas made in Japan...wonder why he said that? I was also lucky enough to get a '96 Camry that was made in Japan, that was the year they took over production temporarily while the US plants changed over for the '97's. Now I am old fashioned about my Japanese cars, I insist that they are made there.
Now back to the show....
:D