Joined the red club!

/ Joined the red club! #1  

Whitbread

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey 1740M
I had to deliver a customer vehicle to Houston, so I used it as an excuse to do some out of state tractor shopping. I ended up finding a 2019 1740m Hydro/cab outside Oklahoma city. It was a bank repo that was on consignment at a dealer. I made a cash offer for $6K below what they were asking and they accepted with some grumbling.

Already have a WR Long 3rd kit sitting back at the shop so that will go on shorty to pair with the grapple I'm building.
IMG_20220509_132811448.jpg

/ Joined the red club! #3  
Very nice, congratulations!

/ Joined the red club! #5  
Great find and good way to pick up a tractor. Is that SUV a little light in the loafers for towing that trailer and tractor?

/ Joined the red club!
Great find and good way to pick up a tractor. Is that SUV a little light in the loafers for towing that trailer and tractor?
Not really, this is a 2008 Grand Cherokee crd. It's the same 3.0L diesel V6 engine and transmission that's in a Mercedes Sprinter of the same era. The Jeep weighs 5500 lb and the factory tow rating is 7700 lb. The engine has a stage 1 tune and downpipe which bumps it to 420 lb/ft of torque. There are airlift helper bags inside the rear coil springs and there's a weight distributing hitch on the trailer. Both axles are braked on the trailer also.

The tires are not loaded on the tractor, so it should be right about 3,700lbs. Add the 2000-2500 lb trailer and I'm still a minimum of 1500 lb under the factory tow rating. I've been averaging 14 MPG and it has been very smooth and comfortable towing at 70 mph.

/ Joined the red club! #7  
Good to hear. Your helper bags and distributing hitch help a whole bunch I am sure. My 2015 F-150 pickup is about that same weight as your Jeep SUV. I am surprised your Jeep is that heavy AND surprised your tractor is that light. My MF 2660HD is twice the weight of your 1740 and my trailer is about 3300lbs. So I CAN tow my rig within the fringes of ratings for the pickup truck but I am not comfortable and rarely ever do it [short distances, cautiously.] I had an F-250 that weighed 1000lbs more than the F-150 and it was just fine towing the same load. Both 4WD and both with HD springs & tow packages. In my view the weight of the towing vehicle is the dominant factor in comfortable towing. Horsepower and torque really are not much of a factor to me. My 3.5L twin turbo V6 in the F-150 puts out more hp and almost identical torque to what the old V-10 was in the F-250. Pulling power has never been an issue. The issue is towing vehicle weight which results in stability and better braking.

I do not get 14mpg towing that load like your diesel does of course but then I rarely tow it.

/ Joined the red club! #8  
AGCO power!

/ Joined the red club! #10  
Whitbread. I knew that name rung a bell. Did I have your 2.5" downpipe on my ALH TDI? I think I did. You even delivered it to Ann Arbor when you were in the process of moving from Ohio to MI, or something? It installed perfectly and was flawless for the ~80k miles I ran it until selling the car, btw.

I am both surprised and a little impressed with the curb weight and tow rating of that ecodiesel Grand Cherokee. Congrats on the new tractor! So $6k under ask on a lightly used 1740m cab is.... around 30k, or what?