Joist hanger screws?

/ Joist hanger screws? #11  
I would like to see some proof that a specific joist screw is better than say a deck screw. I can't see how all those screws really matter on what type you use.

/ Joist hanger screws? #12  
Deck screws are not structural and they are not designed to support a load. They are designed to hold lumber in place. One of the big mistakes I see amateurs or home hobbyist make when building a deck is to attach a beam or joist to the side of a post with just nails or screws.

Specifically engineered screws that are designed to support the load of a joist hanger are made of a metal that will not snap like a deck screw will. They are thicker and made from a stronger metal. They also have bigger and stronger heads.

Think along the lines of carriage bolts scaled down to something similar in size to a screw.

/ Joist hanger screws? #13  
Not exactly on topic, but boy do I wish I invented the GRK fastener line!
For anyone that's ever used/bought them, you know what I mean!

/ Joist hanger screws? #14  
Not exactly on topic, but boy do I wish I invented the GRK fastener line!
For anyone that's ever used/bought them, you know what I mean!

/ Joist hanger screws? #15  
I used 12 inch GRK's for anchoring the bottom plates under my beams into my log posts when building my wedding gazebo. Pricey, but still a bargain for what you get.

/ Joist hanger screws? #16  
I have used the Simpson screws on hangers, and liked them. On one projects, I used screws for some hangers and nails for others, depending on which was easier to deal with

/ Joist hanger screws? #17  
It's nickel dime in my book. There is a reason that Tico type nails are recommended for nail plates and hangers like Simpson stuff. Simpsons screws are made to go with their product and they are good. The gents who like the GRK's are right on as far as install but not always the strength for some loads. They have an exterior and interior line, and a pressure treated line, all specific for the task. Their star drive modus operandi is super. Try 'em and you'll love em.

/ Joist hanger screws? #18  
When it comes to joist hangers, I have seen bunches that simply sport maybe 4-5 roofing nails.
Folks don't realize that to be structural each and every hole needs to have an appropriate fastener.
I for one really like using a palm nailer for that job along with the correct nails.
Whatever fastener used it needs to be shear vs tension rated.
Screws 'pull' therefor are a tension device and by design joist hangers want a sheer fastener, mind U if all hales are used I doubt that any decent fastener will fail.

Recently noticed a deck build where the carpenters merely toe nailed the joists with 6 ea 3" nails.
I promptly advised the owner to add joist hangers and fill every nail hole. (and our winters will load up to 4 ft of packed snow on most decks)

/ Joist hanger screws? #19  
Recently noticed a deck build where the carpenters merely toe nailed the joists with 6 ea 3" nails.

Around here, the most common nail used on a deck is between 2 and 2 1/2 inches. I've seen as many as 20 used to attach a 2x6 joist or beam to the side of a 4x4 post, but usually they just use 2 or 3. When I get the call, the joist or beam has already pulled away from the post and things are starting to fall apart. It's rare that I can save anything, but sometimes I get lucky.

As for the palm nailer, If I can avoid dealing with a hose and air compressor, I will. On deck, I never use a nail on anything. It's all screws and bolts. About the only time I use a framing nail gun is when framing up walls and rafters.

/ Joist hanger screws? #20  
I got this Bostitch teco nailer quite a while ago, before code approved hanger screws were in general use. It was an amazing upgrade from hand nailing! But if I ever do anything else requiring hangers, I will probably go with the special screws, because a cordless driver is lighter and easier to handle than the nailer with hose.

Attachments

• bostitch.jpg
    bostitch.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 95