Jotul gas stove any major issues?

/ Jotul gas stove any major issues? #1  

forgeblast

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deer 318
As posted in a previous post, our woodstove has issues. The chimney is too short, and the doors let air in. it createds a pressure wave coming over the aframe and can suck smoke into the house and force it through the stove. with a wife and child that have allergies this is not good.
Since i just had the pella guy here and to change out 5 doors it was close to 23k, we went to the fireplace store. They only sell fireplaces/gas stoves/coal/pellet stoves.

We are planning on getting a (LP) jotul gf 600 dv II firelight, works when the power is off.
We are going to have it installed in our great room to heat the room we need heated. and use fans to circulated the heat.
Our wood stove will be taken to the basement, to heat there and to use in case of emergencys (it will be where our wells is to keep the pipes from freezing.
questions
1. Jotoul quality? everything i have googled is positive, your personal experiences would be appreciated.
2. how do i plug up the chimney in the mud room, so we can turn that into kiddos play room.
The doors we are going to do one at a time, it will be done, just as we can afford them.

/ Jotul gas stove any major issues? #2  
You should also give some serious thought to insulation. Be sure you have enough, especially heating with LP. The new recommendations are a ceiling of an R40-60 valve.

I have read nothing but good things a bout the quality of Jotul stoves.

Hearth.com - Information on Gas Fireplaces, Wood Stoves, Gas Logs, Pellet Stoves, Fireplaces, Chimneys and Hearth Products

Sounds like you need more height on your chimmney. The wood stove in the basement is a goodidea if you can get the smoke problem solved, and a good draft.

/ Jotul gas stove any major issues?
I reinsulated the whole attic and the joists, the house is really able to keep the heat, its just getting a heat that doesnt cause my wife and child to be sick all winter long.
The chimney in the basement terminates on the other side of the house, and is much taller.

/ Jotul gas stove any major issues? #4  
I've had a Jotul wood stove for 5 years. Nver had an issue, and heats up the house in about 45 minutes.

Next year I will be replacing it with a soapstone stove. The soapstone holds the heat longer than the steel Jotul.

I'm not familiar with the LP stoves inserts, so I can't help you otherwise. But make sure you have battery operated CO detectors when using the LP stove.

Good luck,

Marc

We do have the co detectors. Is the soapstone stove a gas or wood stove?

/ Jotul gas stove any major issues? #6  
It will be to replace our wood stove, but they may make a gas stove too. Do a search for Hearthstone stoves.

I did they were pretty impressive.