Joystick issues MF 1734 series

/ Joystick issues MF 1734 series #1  

Buckchaser

Tractor
Massey F 1734
I own a 1734 MF tractor and a part came off underneath the rubber cuff on the joystick. The loader will lift up and down but cant control the up and down movement of bucket.
I have attached the part that came out. There may have possibly been another part that fell off . Not sure. and it looks like the small threaded bolt sticking out of housing may be stripped.I dont know if it's broke off or just came loose because it may be stripped. Does anyone know if this is an easy fix or more complicated that i'd have to take to dealer. Dealer is located some distance away and i dont have a trailer to transport. I was hoping to save some money if I could fix myself. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 0

Attachments

• 100_8575.JPG
    100_8575.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 63
  • 100_8579.JPG
    100_8579.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 62
  • 100_8580.JPG
    100_8580.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 61
   / Joystick issues MF 1734 series #2  
Buck
I suspect the part in picture 8575 is supposed to screw onto some thing and the round pin would go through the eye on end of joystick. What I cannot tell from the pictures is how the linkage pushes and pulls on the spools. Unless something is broken or stripped threads it should not be to difficult to repair.

can you study the linkage while slowly moving the joystick to determine how that piece should fit to make the valve operate correctly. Right - left should move one spool while up - down moves other spool.

/ Joystick issues MF 1734 series
Thank you oldnslo,
I looked closer and the treads were stripped inside the small part in the picture . You are right. I see how it fits now. I took the part to the nearest MF dealer and he said he has had a few come in like this. So its probably a defect in the part but not covered under warranty since my tractor and loader are 3 yrs old. ,He's looking into a part for me but Im afraid i will have to buy more than just that little separate part unfortunely. but that's typicalm of anything therse days.

Thank for your response and input.

/ Joystick issues MF 1734 series #4  
Fortunately it doesn't look like the end of the actual spool broke off.

Rather that is just a pivot block.

The stud that it bolts to....can you remove it. Looks like it's maybe just a flat head cap screw threaded into that pivot block from the back of that plate

Can you further disassemble the joystick to get that bolt/stud out?

If the dealer doesn't come through....maybe a machine shop....or do you know anyone with a mill?

/ Joystick issues MF 1734 series #5  
Maybe you can fix the treads with an Helicoil kit.

Possible repair with a hand held drill.

/ Joystick issues MF 1734 series #6  
Thank you oldnslo,
I looked closer and the treads were stripped inside the small part in the picture . You are right. I see how it fits now. I took the part to the nearest MF dealer and he said he has had a few come in like this. So its probably a defect in the part but not covered under warranty since my tractor and loader are 3 yrs old. ,He's looking into a part for me but Im afraid i will have to buy more than just that little separate part unfortunely. but that's typicalm of anything therse days.

Thank for your response and input.
Greetings Buckchaser,
If you want I could probably repair that part. For free. If you have the time for mailing stuff. What I would need is an example of the thread. One way to do this is to find a bolt that matches the threaded part that this part screws onto. You could get a matching nut and bolt from the hardware store that you think are correct. Try threading the nut onto the part in the valve. If it threads on, then since you have the matching bolt that bolt can be used by me to determine what the thread is. Then I can use a thread insert in your stripped part to fix it. I am a recently retired machinist and still have my fully equipped shop. If you want to go this route just PM me and we will set it up. To reiterate, this will be at no cost to you but for the postage to mail the part to me.
Eric

/ Joystick issues MF 1734 series #7  
Eric, I don't know if Buckchaser's responded to you via PM or not but I sure will. What a great offer from a fellow Tbn'r!! That is exactly the kind of thing that keeps this forum so alive for me!

The great advice and/or offers of help to others whom have problems are terrific. Yours was a step above and would have been highly valued by me.

I hope that I never need a machined part but I will keep this thread and your name in mind in the case that I ever could use machinist advise.
Greg