Just a reminder-It's that time of year

/ Just a reminder-It's that time of year #1  

Jerry/MT

Elite Member
Tractor
New Holland TD95D, Ford 4610 & Kubota M4500
Just a reminder to all you folks with diesel powered tractors operating in Northern climes that you need to be thinking about changing your fuel filters and making sure your fuel is treated for winter operation. Get that chore out of the way now and when that first big winter snowstorm hits you won't be cussing the fact that your fuel filters are frozen due to water contaminated fuel or your summer fuel is gelled up.
The guys that are new to tractors should pay particular attention to this reminder because they haven't gone through a winter with a diesel powered machine.
Even if your owners manual says you don't need to replace the filter for 600 hrs and you only have a 100 hrs on the engine you'd be wise to heed this reminder. The owners manual time limit is most likely writtten for high use ag tractors that rack up 1200 hrs a year or more. Low use tractors sit for long periods of time with partially full tanks that pick up condensation in large ammounts and have a higher probablility of entering the cold season with summer grade diesel. Those are both recipies for problems in cold weather operation. And don't forget to study the owners manual instructions for bleeding the fuel system after replacing the filter. Keep your fuel tanks topped in cold weather to minimize water comntamination due to condensation.
A little time spent getting your tractors fuel system ready for cold weather will save a lot of frustration when the cold weather hits.

P.S. Dont forget to check the coolant concentration in the radiator, too. Cracked block are no fun either!

Jerry/MT

/ Just a reminder-It's that time of year #2  
Thanks for the reminder. Fuel filter gets changed annually, run conditioner year round.

/ Just a reminder-It's that time of year #4  
Your a week late man...........It's snowing here now ;)

I just came in off the truck an hour ago, and the bottle of Power Service is on the front seat(purchased it today):)

/ Just a reminder-It's that time of year #5  
I don't change fuel, just add the additives. But, it's a valid reminder! In the real cold areas, changing to thinner oil is good too. Also verify that the plug in heater is working. They are much easier to do at 45-50 than at -20F.

/ Just a reminder-It's that time of year #6  
Is winter diesel fuel grade one or two?

/ Just a reminder-It's that time of year
Is winter diesel fuel grade one or two?

Around here it's a blend and it usually starts showing up at the first of October at the pump. If you blend your own( I do. I have a 55 gallon drum that I store my fuel in) I put in 15 gallons of #1 and the rest is #2 diesel plus the label ammount of PS Winter and some PS Clear Tank. It may be over killl in the winter when the "#2" may allready have some #1 in it.

/ Just a reminder-It's that time of year #8  
Around here it's a blend and it usually starts showing up at the first of October at the pump. If you blend your own( I do. I have a 55 gallon drum that I store my fuel in) I put in 15 gallons of #1 and the rest is #2 diesel plus the label ammount of PS Winter and some PS Clear Tank. It may be over killl in the winter when the "#2" may allready have some #1 in it.
I thought the fuel I bought last year would have been 'mixed' and/or treated for winter, since the owner of the place puts it in his trucks. My Massey gelled up...........I'll add PS from now on.

/ Just a reminder-It's that time of year #9  
So if your diesel were to gel or start to gel, will it return to normal when it warms up or will it need to be drained and replaced?

/ Just a reminder-It's that time of year #10  
So if your diesel were to gel or start to gel, will it return to normal when it warms up or will it need to be drained and replaced?
It should be ok after it warms up.