Flail Mower Just bought a Flail Mower - How did I do?

/ Just bought a Flail Mower - How did I do? #1  

justinramani

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 4035
Just picked up a 1994 JD 390 94" Flail Mower via online auction. Price was $600. Assuming no major issues - how do y'all think I did?

Thanks! JD 1.jpgJD 2.jpg

Last edited:
   / Just bought a Flail Mower - How did I do?
No takers??? Maybe it wasn't a good deal....

/ Just bought a Flail Mower - How did I do? #3  
Helo Justin,

You saved yourself about $9,000.00

If you have a place to work on it out of the weather
you will have a good flailmower that will outlast your current mule.
As long as your mule has the lift capacity to carry it and the minimum
recomended horse power at the PTO you will have a very good finishg flail mower.

Even if you need a new set of side slicers or scoop knives, knife hangers, bolts, nuts,
and flail mower rotor bearings and a complete PTO shaft your going to come out smiling
as you saved $9000.00 on the purchase price of a new JD390 flail mower.

As you are on this side of the continental divide you can get most all your parts from
flailmaster if you need parts.

I want to welcome you as the newest member of the Flail Mower Nations.

BTW you can purchase parts and operating manuals for it from any fo the online JD parts stores.

Leonz - Thanks for the information! I am new to the world of flail mowers, but I figured it would be hard to go wrong at under $1,000. My tractor is around 32 PTO hp. Do you think that will be enough to power this mower? If not I may consider selling it and getting one that will work better with my Mahindra 4035. What's it worth on the retail market in fair condition?

/ Just bought a Flail Mower - How did I do? #5  
Around here that would be a fair price for a nice unit.
92" is a big unit and maybe a bit much for your machine if the grass is thick or high. Good thing is you can always take smaller passes it power is a problem.
Enjoy!

/ Just bought a Flail Mower - How did I do? #6  
Fix it and use it Jeremy.

Since you have no idea how many hours it has or who used it and how hard they used it, save
the mower for your own use. As far as price goes for a used flail mower they will not be very high
unless they are one owner consignments at a dealer(provided thay have the paper work to prove ownership.

You have plenty of power you just have to understand how a flail mower works and works well.

My father used a ford jubilee with a 7 foot JD 25A finish flail mower to
reclaim pasture with 12-15 foot tall goldenrod and kept it mowed until
he sold the tractor and flail mower.

As long as you know how to use the flail mower and take care of it it will
outlast the Mahindra and fit on the next mule.

If you have time, read the entire flail mower thread and you will be mowing very well in
the springtime.

I was able to pick up the mower today. It was larger than I expected, but I was able to get it in the back of my truck. The belt is present, but its just hanging there. The knives look pretty beat and the PTO shaft is missing. Not really sure where to start. the PTO spins, but the belt isn't on to engage to drum. Im into it for $600 - is this worth investing another $3 - 400? I already have a medium duty brush hog....

/ Just bought a Flail Mower - How did I do? #8  
I was able to pick up the mower today. It was larger than I expected, but I was able to get it in the back of my truck. The belt is present, but its just hanging there. The knives look pretty beat and the PTO shaft is missing. Not really sure where to start. the PTO spins, but the belt isn't on to engage to drum. Im into it for $600 - is this worth investing another $3 - 400? I already have a medium duty brush hog....

============================================

Justin,

once you have the mower ready and mowing "after" you read the flail mower thread your going to want to either throw stones at the bush hog or sell it or both!!!

If you can please post some pictures of the flail mower rotor and the knives when you have time-no rush though.

/ Just bought a Flail Mower - How did I do? #9  
Leonz - Thanks for the information! I am new to the world of flail mowers, but I figured it would be hard to go wrong at under $1,000. My tractor is around 32 PTO hp. Do you think that will be enough to power this mower? If not I may consider selling it and getting one that will work better with my Mahindra 4035. What's it worth on the retail market in fair condition?

You paid $600 for a machine that Leon says sells for $9,500 new, and you're wondering whether to invest another $300 - $400 in it??? If you have buyer's remorse, I'm sure you could sell it and get your money out of it. But surely you didn't think it was "gently used" when buying that cheap compared to a new one.

You paid $600 for a machine that Leon says sells for $9,500 new, and you're wondering whether to invest another $300 - $400 in it??? If you have buyer's remorse, I'm sure you could sell it and get your money out of it. But surely you didn't think it was "gently used" when buying that cheap compared to a new one.

It's not that I have buyers remorse. I do not know if I have enough knowledge to fix it. Moreover - I don't know who does. I can replace knives and PTO shaft, but I have no clue how the belts work or how to tighten them.

No - I surely didn't think I was getting a gently used mower!