Just bought a Kubota BX2230 and have some question

/ Just bought a Kubota BX2230 and have some question #11  
Welcome to the forum, from East Texas. Sounds like your ex got the worst of that deal.

Count me in the camp that figures this is your 'starter' tractor. Get it working right and sell it for more than you paid. Heck, I'd probably convince one of those rich guys, bless their hearts, that they need to buy it. Then get yourself one that has the features you want. Otherwise, the lack of FEL will scream at you every time you could have used it.

/ Just bought a Kubota BX2230 and have some question #12  
Thank you so much! I think you’re right about the FEL. In fact every single person I have spoken to has said exactly that. I guess I really don’t need the loader so much now either since I had the guy with the excavator do all the major soil work. I think the rear scoop should get me by with just dumping small amounts of mulch and gravel.

Its crazy how excited I am to have a real tractor finally 😂. I know that sounds weird but I became absolutely obsessed with them when I was studying how to remedy the bamboo situation. The three point hitch invention is sheer brilliance and lends to endless possibilities for a DIY person. But I’m pretty bizarre when it comes to DIY. I’m pretty shy and am always skeptical of being ripped off by repairmen. And inevitably I receive an outrageous bill after service and am too shy and scared to argue with the guy so I always pay it without question. So, for that reason, I’ve become obsessed with learning how to fix everything by watching YouTube. I turned my garage into a wood/tool/welding shop. I taught myself how to weld and actually welded a nice trailer for picking up stuff from Lowes. And I love buying any kind of tools - the more exotic the better.

I divorced my husband about ten years ago and now live single in a very yuppy neighborhood. All the husbands are either doctors or lawyers. And during the day their driveways are filled with service vehicles (lawn services, gutter people, electricians, any service you can imagine). But I feel like an outcast because instead of a Tesla sitting in my newly paved and stamped driveway, is an old van and a Prius AND ME COVERED IN GREASE FIXING OR BUILDING SOMETHING 😂. In fact, there’s this doctor across the street from me who was installing a prefab gate in his fenced in backyard and was perplexed that there was a root right where he needed to place his fence post. I watched him fiddle around for a few minutes and then thought, oh hell, so I grabbed my sawzall and headed over to his house to help. The look on his face was part amazement and part embarrassment that a woman was coming to his aid. I nicely asked him to move out of the way and cut the root right out as if it were butter. The doctor was in awe of this “miraculous tool” in my hand. Was I the only person who owned this marvel of modern technology, he was thinking? So I explained to him that it’s a common all purpose saw that anyone can purchase on Amazon.

But the story doesn’t end there. After taking care of the root I returned to my driveway. Then about 30 minutes later I noticed the doctor and his neighbor trying to manually pull the chainlink fence taught against the post. Both men appear very physically fit but with all their might they couldn’t get the chainlink close enough to the post to secure it. So, AGAIN, I grabbed my come along and walked over and told them to step aside. Then I cranked the chainlink right up to the post with just a few pumps on the winch. Of course they wanted a come along now too and asked where one purchased a device such as this.

As a result, none of the wives in the neighborhood will look at me and think I’m possessed 😂. But I could care less because while they’re home cooking dinner or washing dishes, I’m in my garage plasma cutting killer stainless backlit led numbers to put on my driveway column to illuminate my address.

And now I can’t wait to see the expression on the faces of the neighbors when I am digging my own irrigation lines with a subsoiler on a “machine” they didn’t know existed.
🙏🏻😁 🚜

You're going to fit in right well in this neighborhood! Also, if the bulk of the dirt has already been moved you may benefit from a box blade more than a dirt scoop. They are very good at smoothing, leveling etc. Dirt scoop, not so much for that. They just move material from point A to B.

/ Just bought a Kubota BX2230 and have some question #13  
Welcome to TBN. Tractors are problem solvers just like you. Learning new skills, from mistakes and successes part of the journey. I’m still on that path of learning and trying to find what works best on a ever changing target.

/ Just bought a Kubota BX2230 and have some question #14  
Welcome to the BX family. Good machine and hopefully, you'll have the gremlins solved. My 20 year old BX-22 is still going strong for sure.

For a quick attach, I have the Pat's system which I know this forum sent out an email about relative to a Black Friday discount within the last day. Top link is still manual, but I don't mind that. But in complete disclosure, I don't own any three point attachments anymore as we moved to a much smaller property and, well...they were more valuable for cash than sitting around taking up space. :)

Now let's get the crux of the "elephant in the room". A FEL is one of the most useful capabilities that these workhorse tractors bring to the table. Without one, you need to get a lot more creative and invest in (or make) "more" three point devices than would be required if you just had the FEL available. Unfortunately, getting one for a machine of that age is nearly impossible. The unit that's matched to the BX2230 is different than the current generation BXs use and it would be unbelievably rare/unusual for anyone to part with "just" the FEL and all the required attachment points and hydraulics. IE, it's not really a reasonable retrofit situation. So if you determine that a FEL is a good choice for you, trade/sell the BX2230 and buy another machine that's already equipped with it. I know I'm repeating advice already offered, but it's a pretty important point.

/ Just bought a Kubota BX2230 and have some question #15  
Hi,
<snip> my small yard (3/4 acre). Bamboo had taken over the entire yard and destroyed tile on my patio and even went above and under concrete paths and driveways.

<snip>

About a month ago I found a Kubota BX2230 4x4 with belly mower but no FEL for $5,000 on FB Marketplace. <snip>
My Kubota doesn’t have a FEL so I figured I could use a rear scoop kinda like a FEL with the hydraulic top link.

<snip>
I own no attachments except for the belly mower at this point. First, should I buy a quick hitch and, if so, which budget friendly model should I get?
Pat's quick hitch works for me.
Second, which attachments should I get first. I want to level my front yard and possibly smooth out mulch applied to beds. Should I go for a rear blade or boxblade? I’m leaning toward a rear blade because I could also spread gravel paths with it.
Box blade
Does anyone recommend a model rear scoop that I should get? I found some really cheap ones on Agrisupply. Have any of you used any of their products?

I would also like to get something to dethach my lawn with. Can I do this with a pine straw rake or do I need something else like a drag harrow?
Rent a dethatcher, unless you do it often renting is often a wiser choice. At about $60/day it's worth it.
Lastly I’m thinking of getting 3 point forks and a cheap 3 point boom for moving stuff around.
Agrisupply sells a nice 3-point pallet fork, link here one of my first purchases, often used.
With your talents I'm sure you can build a "carryall" for tools etc. Lot's of examples on TBN.
Do you guys recommend anything else that is really useful and fun to have with a pto tractor that will mostly be used for gardening and moving stuff?

AND LASTLY, I WOULD LOVE TO BUY A FEL. If anyone ever comes across a used FEL for a BX2230 would you please please please let me know because I want to buy one.

Thanks so much,
Cristina
instagram.com/baileyCristina
The scoop makes sense.
Get some chain, so if you need to pull something your ready,
Get some sturdy rope. With the 3pt pallet forks from Agrisupply you can move a mountain.
Good luck.

/ Just bought a Kubota BX2230 and have some question #16  
Welcome to TBN. Glad you are here. Congratulations on the tractor. Hope all the problems get fixed. As most will tell you here, it is ALMOST impossible to find a loader for a tractor to add on. If so, it may be pricy. Best if you can get your money out of it to purchase another one with loader on it. But you may find one. Hope so. Best wishes.

/ Just bought a Kubota BX2230 and have some question #17  
Your best possible chance of finding a loader is by contacting any and all dealers...but also contact insurance companies...tractors get totaled and sold for whatever...
Good luck...
BTW...if you took a poll here you would find that probably a majority have more than one tractor because a lot of the time...just one won't do...!

/ Just bought a Kubota BX2230 and have some question #18  
I've had my BX2230 for 11 years. The FEL really opens up a world of new jobs you can tackle, but you have already heard that. But if you keep this tractor, my one recommendation is to replace that gawd-awful sloped, rock-hard seat. If you put any number of hours on, that thing is a killer. None of my business what your budget might be, but I replaced mine with a TSC model for under $150. I had to drill 2 new holes, but the other 2 fit fine.
Welcome to TBN. There are a couple of BX groups on Facebook that are handy also.

/ Just bought a Kubota BX2230 and have some question #19  
I have Pat's Quick hitch on my BX2230, It works, saves a little time and effort, but I'm not sure I'm going to get a set for my new to me L3600. The Hydraulic top link will be a big help hooking up. And quick hitches are only useful if you are changing implements often. A loader is great, I love what it can pick up and move, but much is possible without one. 3pt forks, carry all, scoop, will all help move stuff. The only issue I can think of is you may need to add weight to the front. I have the rear tires fluid filled and chained, but I am on steep slopes probably doing much heavier work than a BX needs to be doing. Have fun, they are great little tractors.

/ Just bought a Kubota BX2230 and have some question #20  
Sorry about your negative first tractor purchase, there's a lot of scumbags out there and it's always best to kick the tires and test drive it. Bringing someone along in the know would also help. Fortunately in this day and age, we can research and youtube about anything before buying it. Take it slow and learn as much as you can from tractor geeks like us before you buy. Most of us would tell you always buy a sub compact tractor with a loader WITH either JDQA or SSQA (not a pinned on bucket) so you can use multiple attachments and change them quickly. Finding a loader for an older SCUT is near impossible.

I would bite the bullet, sell the tractor off to someone who only needs it for grass and 3ph work. Then take your time and find a SCUT with a loader, 3PH, dealer/parts support hopefully close to you for the right price and watch several "How to buy a first tractor" videos. I went a different route when I bought my first tractor, I went new JD for a 5075E. It was a learning experience too, but had a loader, warranty, and some amenities. I added a lot of stuff to it as I went and learned how to buy the next one.

You may lose a few bucks, but getting the right equipment will be more than worth it in the long run and you won't regret it.