Just Bought a New Kubota M8540

/ Just Bought a New Kubota M8540
My father in law began working on this when he bought the property in the mid eighties just before he retired. It was being farmed at the time. He put in the 5 acre pond and another much smaller one for erosion control. We then got a no till planter and used some from USDA SDS for some of the grasses due to the odd seeds shapes. Some of it had to be plowed, disked and rolled before planting. We worked with my sons planting the trees by hand with tree spades.

We also planted about five acres in wild flowers and put 5,000 tulips in one field.
He died driving his tractor eleven years ago and my kids are grown with jobs, so we had to cut back on the flowers and a couple of other things.

Here is a picture of one of the grass stands.

/ Just Bought a New Kubota M8540 #42  
Congrats on the M8540, mine has been great. How do you like the DS1260 cutter? I've got an older Woods 121 and am considering the DS1260, salesman is also pushing a BW180.

/ Just Bought a New Kubota M8540 #43  
TripleR, now that's a mighty fine stand of Indian Grass, and I think I see some Big Bluestem too,,,,very, very nice,.

Congrats on the M8540, mine has been great. How do you like the DS1260 cutter? I've got an older Woods 121 and am considering the DS1260, salesman is also pushing a BW180.

We really like the DS1260. When we bought it, we had a Case CX80, so due to the limited lift capacity we got the pull type. As it turns out, it is more stable on inclines than our 3-point Woods 121, or that's what my sons say. I have about quit going across steep slopes myself. We kept the 121 for light stuff and maneuverability. For anything tight, I use my L5030 with Land Pride RCR2672. And for the really tight stuff, I have a 4' LP for my BX2660. If I can't get to it with that, I quit.:laughing:

We have a Woods BW180 at our disposal, but have never needed it due to the way our property is set up; good mower though.

TripleR, now that's a mighty fine stand of Indian Grass, and I think I see some Big Bluestem too,,,,very, very nice,.

You sure do. We started out with pure stands of Switch Grass, Indian Grass, Big Blue and Little Blue in different fields. Over time, the Switch Grass and Indian Grass have spread to the other fields.

The attached use to be pure Little Blue.

/ Just Bought a New Kubota M8540 #45  
Triple R -
beautiful big machine! You must have some serious acreage with the farms tied together? And, are you cropping the grass or??

Triple R -
beautiful big machine! You must have some serious acreage with the farms tied together? And, are you cropping the grass or??

Actually the largest property we have is a little over 300 acres with a total of a little over 500 acres combined. Where I live, this is not much acreage. While it doesn't look like it, over half is in row crop production

As mentioned, much of what we do is a continuation of projects begun with my father in law in the mid 80's dedicated to reforestation, soil and wildlife conservation/preservation. My father in law did give some very serious consideration to this, but after considering the impact on wildlife opted not to. We are trying our best to honor his vision for this property.