Just how bad is airline service

/ Just how bad is airline service #21  
I generally have 1 rough flight per year, generally weather related. I don’t fly much for work anymore so only 10 or so round trips per year. Mostly American, 2nd being Southwest.

TSA PreCheck is most definitely worth it.

Helps to understand what you are due as a customer for a late or cancelled flight.

/ Just how bad is airline service #22  
We are very short staffed on the pilot side. We are very tired, and there is little relief in sight. They are considering extending the retirement age to 67. Meanwhile, I’m on min rest most nights, and run delayed most days.

/ Just how bad is airline service #23  
I haven’t been on a plane since 2000. It sounds like things have changed alot in 23 years.
The only delay I ever had back then was a flight to SLC from Vegas at midnight. A red eye flight, I think they called it. We were lined up for boarding and as I watched the mechanics inspect the plane from the big windows, at least 6 of them were gathered around the right engine looking in with flash lights. 5 minutes later our flight was postponed until another flight arrived in 45 minutes. I was shocked at the behavior of several people throwing huge childish fits. I couldn’t understand, we were all watching the mechanics climbing into the engine with flashlights. I was literally thanking God that we didn’t board that flight. If I remember correctly, it was Southwest Airlines. I still wonder why anyone in their right mind would have wanted to get on that damaged plane.

/ Just how bad is airline service #24  
I get frisked and "special attention" every time I fly. Must be my appearance or they just like feeling up Hungarians. :ROFLMAO:

My wife and kids walk right through. I always leave my belt in my luggage and wear slip on shoes and take just my wallet, phone and car key in my pocket. I know I'm gonna get undressed by TSA, so I just plan for it and wear my Burger King underwear.
Man that’s a really gross visual. :eek: :ROFLMAO:

/ Just how bad is airline service #26  
I generally have 1 rough flight per year, generally weather related. I don’t fly much for work anymore so only 10 or so round trips per year. Mostly American, 2nd being Southwest.
I haven't been on a plane in close to 35 years, but my wife will fly to visit her sons/grandchildren or her sister once or twice a year. Her first choice is Southwest. Nothing but bad experiences with American.
Long drive to any airport from where we live, and unless she wants the hassle of flying in/out of Boston the choices are limited.

/ Just how bad is airline service #27  
Not good news. I rarely fly but I'm planning on flying to Anchorage Alaska in August to visit my son and his family who is stationed there.

Maybe non-stop is the way to go?

/ Just how bad is airline service #28  
Anytime you have a layover, transfer, etc., there's a chance you'll miss your connecting flight, you luggage (if applicable) will not make your connecting flight, your first flight might be delayed and cause you to miss your connecting flight, your connecting flight never arrived, etc...

non-stop is well worth any added expense, in my opinion.

For example, we flew from South Bend, IN to Chicago, to Honolulu. We had just 10 minutes to make our connecting flight in Chicago. We had to run to another terminal. We made it. And surprisingly, our baggage made it.

On the return trip, we had a 4 hour layover in Chicago before heading to South Bend. Our flight from Honolulu was about 45 minutes EARLY, so we had a 4:45 hour layover in Chicago. Our bags did not make the flight and stayed in Chicago for about a week before they got them to us.

So 10 minutes and they managed to get us and our luggage across two terminals, but 4 hours and 45 minutes they could not do the same.

I shake my head.

I now only take carry on luggage since that experience. I won't do checked baggage.

/ Just how bad is airline service #29  
We always try non-stop and try to fly later in the morning.
We see delays all the time, but I still remember as a kid Eastern and the other airlines canceling flights by the hundreds.
Shortage of pilots, smaller pay increases for pilots and lots of places to make better money like UPS and private and that last virus did not help.
Fuel surcharges are making it more expensive too.

We usually do two family trips, one for vacation and one to visit family on the other coast.

Last year we flew into Italy and out through Switzerland with no real issues.
I did a round trip to London for business, no real issues.

But we did not do the family visit trip, just too expensive.

TSA and security in each country is vastly different, so is passport control.

In the US, it is always painful.

I can see why people pay for pre-check, but I don't fly as much as I used to.

/ Just how bad is airline service #30  
I would. Driven from California to New Orleans a couple of times in the last few years to see family. I'll take a road trip any day over the current cattle call that airlines have become.
As recent as 3 years ago I was flying well over 100,000 miles a year. Never slowed down during Covid. My travel has slowed some now but only because of my insistence. When you travel that much you don't typically drive from Reno to SC. Taking 50 flights wouldn't be that bad. As far as airline service and punctuality, I fly American solely and I really haven't seen much of a shift in the last 15 to 20 years. Don't get me wrong, I hate flying and would opt to drive any reasonable distance if time permits. If you think about it, all flying has been a cattle call for a very long time. There are a few things that one can know that makes travel much easier and less stressful. One is, buy a first class ticket and drink. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: