Just purchased first welder - MIG

/ Just purchased first welder - MIG #1  

dragoneggs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX-25D, Kubota Z122RKW-42
Okay this tractoring stuff is getting addicting :licking: A life long dream to get a welder is finally going to be a reality. I 'settled' or maybe I should say splurged on a Miller 211 MVP and also purchased a spool gun. I wanted to take advantage of the 10% rebater that expires end of the month. I did a fair amount of research and it seems this should handle most anything I plan to do. I can't see myself doing any heavy duty work so its capability for my weekend DIY should be more than enough. I also want to learn to weld aluminum thus the spool gun. I also like the dual voltage capability.

I was drooling over the Multimatic 200 but I really could not justify the expense and decided I really didn't need the portability and TIG. I figure the difference in cost will allow me to purchase a plasma cutter. Now I just have to stay at home a bit (too much business travel), and start playing. Already have a few projects in mind... welding table (of course), some dollies for implements, a ripper for my BH... ah I could go on...

/ Just purchased first welder - MIG #2  
Congratulations Dragon, you have started down a new road.. You will enjoy the journey.:)

/ Just purchased first welder - MIG
Thanks James, I am sitting in Savannah at the moment wondering if I will beat my welder home. No idea yet how long delivery will take. Purchased at weldersupply.com. I hope they are good to deal with. Lowest price I found online. Free ship, no tax.

/ Just purchased first welder - MIG #4  
You think tractoring is addicting? You just started down an even slippery slope.:laughing: Are you going with 100% CO2, or C-25? You'll also need a bottle of argon for the aluminum welding.

/ Just purchased first welder - MIG #5  
You think tractoring is addicting? You just started down an even slippery slope.:laughing: Are you going with 100% CO2, or C-25? You'll also need a bottle of argon for the aluminum welding.

Amen to that, now you "need" lots of accessories!:laughing: I find I prefer my Wire welder in nearly every situation, just to easy and clean to use. Only have 54 hrs on My Bobcat 250 arch, in 4 years!:laughing:

/ Just purchased first welder - MIG #6  
congrats, The materials for this hobby are not cheap either but if you buy full lengths they will deliver.

Well I guess I am looking for advice here since you asked the question. I was just assuming I would get C-25 and argon once I tackle aluminum. Why should I consider 100%CO2?

/ Just purchased first welder - MIG #8  
With 100% CO2 you'll get a little hotter puddle, than with C-25. But you'll also get a little bit more splatter. 100% CO2 is generally cheaper too. With that small of a machine you might want to think about 100% CO2. But for thicker material you can always go with gas less flux core.

With 100% CO2 you'll get a little hotter puddle, than with C-25. But you'll also get a little bit more splatter. 100% CO2 is generally cheaper too. With that small of a machine you might want to think about 100% CO2. But for thicker material you can always go with gas less flux core.
I think most of my projects will be 1/8in material or less... and I am not a fan of splatter so.... C-25 I think? Here maybe is a stupid question... does it ever make sense to use flux core with gas? Not sure what you are suggesting for thicker material... does flux core burn hotter than solid with gas?

/ Just purchased first welder - MIG #10  
There are many types of flux-core. Some use shielding gas and some don't. Gas shielded flux-core is usually cheaper and has better mechanical properties than self shielded. You can get self shielded flux-core with good mechanical properties but it's expensive. Gas shielded also has a lot less smoke than self shielded. Self shielded is good if you're working outside and want lots of production. I think you'd be happiest with C-25 gas and solid wire.