Dealer Just who is a Yanmar dealer anyway?

/ Just who is a Yanmar dealer anyway? #11  
Roger, I really wish that the guy who sells a better mouse trap would get the bigger reward. Doesn’t seem to be the trend though. Don’t know if you have a Costco store in your area but they are all over out here. You have to be a member to walk in the store and you have to show your member ID card to purchase items. I could never figure out why they wouldn’t even let you in the store (without ID) when you couldn’t buy anything anyway if you didn’t have a Costco ID. I talked to a Vice president of marking for Costco at a stockholders meeting. He said at first anybody could walk in but you had to be a member to buy. They had a small customer base but people were not signing up like they had hoped. They decided to make it more exclusive looking. They required Costco ID at the door. As soon as people felt like they were the member of a "special club" their membership shot up. Or as he put it "playing off the vanity of man". So in one market price is king but in another that might not be the case. Maybe the more expensive or exclusive the item the less important price becomes? What do think Roger? I know there are a few guys out there that would have no less than the best not because they need it or can afford it but because it has to be better than the neighbor. Sorry this is so long. Just need to say to myself short, short, short....../w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ Just who is a Yanmar dealer anyway? #12  
Roger:
I am very fortunate to have a diesel tractor mechanic who is my neighbor.
He has taken my customers machines down to 200 pieces on a bench, trannys and all.
I supply him the parts and he does the rest.
I use the electrostatic paint booth from my ornamental Iron biss. to paint them.
If I need parts I get them from Yanmart or Leonard.
A person has to do what he has too , to keep a customer happy & rolling down the field!!
But it sure takes time & $$ to make it all run smooth.
Tractor Ernie www.ernies.net

/ Just who is a Yanmar dealer anyway? #13  
Buck, we don't have Costco in our area (do have Sam's Club), but several years ago, my brother and I were on our way to Ellensburg, WA, from Texas to pick up some things for his mother-in-law and threw all the tread off one tire on my trailer, and had no spare tire with us. It was a Sunday before Memorial Day and we got into Pendleton, OR, and Costco was about the only thing open that day, so I went in there and explained my problem and they had two tires, mounted on wheels and inflated, and sold them to me even though I wasn't a member./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif They were definitely a lifesaver that day!/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Just who is a Yanmar dealer anyway? #14  
Thats cool, nice people do exist!

/ Just who is a Yanmar dealer anyway? #15  
Roger,
I would like to echo on some of Buck's sentiments. I have a small dealership (sales yard) and hire a mechanic for my tractor work. I buy and sell 4-5 tractors at a time and use my mechanic for any major work or jobs that I cannot take care of in a timely manner for my customer. I agree with Buck in that being a smaller dealer I may have more time to afford my customers in the customer service aspect. The other side of that is, I may not have the large selecion of tractors that some dealers can offer. However, I do not have the time, floor space, or $$$ to inventory a large, comprehensive parts base. I keep filters around for simple service work but other parts I get from other sources. I think the gray market tractors offer a niche to the customer who doesn't want to pay for their weekend tractor for 15 years and isn't hung up on being better than the "Jones'" across the road. I like to be able to offer quality used equipment that I am comfortable knowing will suit my customers needs.
Good post topic Roger!
Nick

/ Just who is a Yanmar dealer anyway? #16  
It's really hard to compare dealers to dealers. If you "buy" and "sell" then yes you are a dealer. No matter what the product may be. It's really hard to find two identical Yanmar's in the same exact shape. So prices will always vary. A '65 mustang may be $1500 or it may be $15,000. Tractors don't vary that drastically but they do indeed vary. As far as having to stock parts to be a FULL service dealer, I don't agree. My company is a FULL service dealer and I don't stock parts. The fact is, If I stocked parts, there would be yet another mark-up when one is not needed. Our tractors prices aren't any higher than anyone elses either. Our key is to have a private contracted mechanic. There's no need to pay for one 40 hours a week when he's not needed that often. I have two mechanics always readily available when needed. We keep a lot full of about 30 tractors and still dont have to use a mechanic that often. I bought ten fan belts today from AutoZone at $2.50 each (belted). It doesn't make much sense to buy a Yanmar Belt. Anyway most things we get locally for far, far cheaper than Authorized Parts dealers such as belts, hoses, filters, injectors, alternators, starters, seats, and the list goes on and on. So there are really no authorized Yanmar dealers only Authorized Yanmar Parts Dealers. We dont' seem to have a problem with parts. Some tractors are a little harder to find parts but we still stock and have on our lot right now Yanmar, Mitsubishi, Iseki, Hinomoto, Shibaura , and Satoh. I've rambled long enough. ;-)

JCooper
CooperTractors.com

/ Just who is a Yanmar dealer anyway? #17  
Well said cooper! I too use napa, auto zone, etc for parts. Good parts, readily available and service counter people that are willing to help you instead of sneer at you when you mention Yanmar at the JD dealer's parts counter.
Nick

/ Just who is a Yanmar dealer anyway? #18  
Well, Roger...once again one of my hot buttons. I think at the most basic level a dealer is someone who can/does resolve most/all of their customers' tractor problems from their own business. That is not to say they cannot employ/utilize any number of other resources, including perhaps the "authorized" Yanmar guy who sells them parts, the rebuilder they use, the tire store they buy from, the fabricator they contract, etc. The seller tells the customer that someone else (frequently a specifically named dealer with a good reputation) can take care of their needs..or "you can get all your parts at Napa/JD/Herb's Corner Parts & Liquor stand." I realize there are exceptions, and I tend to paint with a broad brush. In my definition of these terms, the seller is the bane of our business. This person creates a false confidence that the customer can get easy/universal access to parts and service help, and uses that false confidence to sell a cheaper tractor (which is often a pig in a poke). Said customer then becomes very disenchanted when they discover that a dealer cannot survive providing free phone support on an ongoing basis...and from my experience that disenchantment gets taken out on the dealer, not the seller who set up the situation. We are by no means the biggest in this business...so imagine what others get when we are getting app. 2 dozen calls and three times that in emails each week from people wanting to know where they can get a head for their "oh, I'm not sure of the model, but it's made in Japan" or a "thing, you know, the thing by the engine" for a "well, the guy said it was, ummm, I'm not sure. But you sell Japanese stuff, don't you?.

So I see volume as only a minor part of the definition. I see the level of repsonsibility accepted as a major part. Don't whine (those who might be so inclined) about everybody having to start small. Guess what? We did too. Get over it. Yeah, there were times when we worked for nothing, fixing something we felt accountable to fix, or when profit in a unit got eaten up by something we had to do. And as we grew (in size, resources, RESOURCEFULNESS, and efficiency) these things cost us less and less. I see far too much tendency to tell folks they can find it on the web, or, Sin of dealer sins in my book, "dealers" posting questions. Good grief, give your customers a little reason to have confidence in you. Develope some resources. Don't expect to pick up the phone and have some established dealer blithely give you all the trade information he's spent years and $$$ gathering. If you're not importing, your seller should be able to provide darn near all the information you will need. If you are importing and are lacking significant info necessary to completely handle problems...you probably shouldn't be importing. The summer before we started our business, we visited the four largest importers east of the Mississippi. Drove there, hung around the yards/shops(no one kicked us out) and soaked up information. Bought the beer, took a few guys out for burgers. Stayed out of the way, said "thank you" a lot. Paid the dues. (No, they were NOT close. I used much of my vacation and drove over 3000 miles doing this)

Unless you already have a background with resources in this area, don't expect to become a dealer without investing a lot of time and effort regardless of how much money you have. And if you don't do the above, don't expect some of us to ever call you anything other than a seller. And for goodness sake, act like you know what you're doing. It's fine for another dealer to know you're an ignoramus (and mechanically I am one...that's why I pay good people to do that work), but not the customer base.

/ Just who is a Yanmar dealer anyway? #19  
I know I shouldn't reply, but just let me throw this one idea out there. It seems to me that if I were in the business of selling/ repairing tractors, then doing the latter would still be nicely profitable. Don't mechanics and the true dealers make good money repairing these machines? Is it such an insult to have some person come in and having bought it somewhere else? I'm moving in 2 years, USMC gig is up, and I hope there will be someone out there who can help me if I have a problem without generating a great deal of animosity.

/ Just who is a Yanmar dealer anyway? #20  
I may not have made that point particularly well, or it may simply be that it's difficult to appreciate the volume and type of "repair" requests that are referenced. Someone brings their tractor for repair that they've had for two years, and what have we? A tractor that has run for at least two years...likely at least a reasonable unit. Something that can be worked on and expected to run again for a reasonable length of time. Someone brings their tractor (and frankly more often than not these are folks nowhere near us...they want a free mechanical seminar on the phone--honestly, you have no idea of the expectations) that hasn't run right since they bought it, and we may well have a piece of junk (and from our experience, probably do)..and no matter how good the repair, something else will fail, or the failures are already multiple. Then we take the heat for "incompetent work". I said in another post somewhere, that repairing a piece of crap tractor gives you a repaired piece of crap tractor. That is the truth. The other part of the same issue is that we're not talking about a YM2000 here. Many, if not most of these calls are about non-Yanmars, with questionable parts supply. No, it is not profitable to work on tractors when you have to hunt down parts and don't even know if you can find them.

Now (and please do not take this personally-I know I am a bit brusque, but there is no personal animosity on my part--it's simply my nature to be blunt), when you go to this dealer after moving and ask him to work on your Japasoto 5000, and he tells you he'll gladly work on it if you can supply a parts source and a service manual, are you going to suggest he is showing you animosity? He didn't sell you the tractor---why should he be expected to be able to parts source it and know how to fix it?

And back to the original dealer/seller issue....this (when you move) is where a dealer does his job. We have had remote tractor customers (folks who bought a tractor here and are hundreds of miles away) get their repairing mechanic on the phone with one of ours; we have faxed and mailed pages from various manuals; whatever we could do that was necessary to keep our customers' tractors running. I once killed a day to drive a part to a repair shop across the state so a customer whose tractor was there for repair wouldn't lose a landscape job he was on. I see that as a dealer's responsiblity, as best it can be done. There is no additional money in most of this kind of activity. It is part and parcel of what you get when you buy here. I cannot afford to provide it to everyone else who bought from a seller.

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

2024 Kivel 84in Bucket Skid Steer Attachment (A32932)
2024 Kivel 84in...
John Deere 570A Motorgrader (A33041)
John Deere 570A...
Sprayer (A33041)
Sprayer (A33041)
Glencoe Field Cultivator (A33041)
Glencoe Field...
Allis Chalmers D17 Tractor (A33041)
Allis Chalmers D17...
(45) 4x7 Treated Fence Posts (selling By the Post x45) (A33978)
(45) 4x7 Treated...