KAMA 454 block heater

/ KAMA 454 block heater #1  

Paddy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota, G5200, KAMA 454
I posted this question many years ago, but maybe someone out there has installed a freeze plug block heater on a KAMA 454. I'd just go for a lower radiator hose heater but the hose is very short.

The engine is listed as a 395, not sure if the Shandong engine is used on other tractors.

The freeze plugs are a little off set from the cylinders, maybe 2 inches center of cylinder to center of freeze plug. The plug is about 1.25 in/32mm wide. I fear there may not be enough room for one of the small block heaters.

I see other option as a recirculating heater/pump. But don't understand where to tap into the system.

/ KAMA 454 block heater #2  
You can tap into your lower radiator hose using one of these.

1638330252936.png

/ KAMA 454 block heater #3  
Also, I can testify about the effectiveness of magnetic block heaters. Put one on the oil pan and one on the side of the block.

/ KAMA 454 block heater
If I go for the circulating type, would I add a barb fitting where the block drain is and Tee in to short hose that feeds below the thermostat? Or block drain to lower Rad hose, they are about the same height.

Where are you located? here in IN, we get plenty of single digits. My oil pan is divided for front drive shaft.
I currently use a propane torch and heat the intake manifold, it takes time to evenly cover it all.

/ KAMA 454 block heater #5  
If I go for the circulating type, would I add a barb fitting where the block drain is and Tee in to short hose that feeds below the thermostat? Or block drain to lower Rad hose, they are about the same height.

Where are you located? here in IN, we get plenty of single digits. My oil pan is divided for front drive shaft.
I currently use a propane torch and heat the intake manifold, it takes time to evenly cover it all.
I'm on the Kitsap Peninsula in Washington state where it can dip into the 20's for a few days occasionally.
The circulating type of heater would go from the lower radiator hose to the block drain (if it were routed to anywhere near the thermostat it would be bypassing the engine altogether). Am I correct in assuming you are using glow plugs? There are also intake manifold air heaters available:

Did you look at the Katz heaters? They are about as compact as you can get. They come in different sizes.

Note: I'm just using Amazon for a quick reference. Products may be available locally.

/ KAMA 454 block heater
Bob,

From RonMar I found on Tractorbynet;

"Because of the space limitations on the lower radiator hose this might be easier to install. It looks like it could be connected between the block drain on the left rear of the engine block and a "T" placed in the small recirc hose line that runs between the waterpump intake and the bottom of the thermostat housing. This would circulate warm water through the engine block. I used one on a 4 cylinder Toyota in Alaska. I think it was 450 Watt and it would warm up the engine fairly quickly. They are also not very expensive."

The photo is my KAMA. My lower radiator hose is about level with the block drain. I read that for these circulating heaters to work, they need a low an high attachments. Do you think where the red arrow would work as the high point using the "Tee" adapter?
The KAMA does not have glow plugs.
in the lower left, you can see the new electric fuel pump

1638393641249.jpeg

1638393641249.jpeg

/ KAMA 454 block heater #7  
I'm skeptical of where that red arrow points to. I think it would basically just heat the radiator after the thermostat opens, bypassing the engine altogether. It should still work going to the block drain even though the difference is slight. Looks like there is room in the lower hose for that tap, although you may have to move the radiator to install it. I would still consider installing one of those manifold heaters over using a propane torch.
Nice job on the electric fuel pump!

/ KAMA 454 block heater #8  
I installed Wolverine heaters on both the oil pan as well as the hydraulic sump several years ago. They still work perfectly and it starts like summertime, including this morning for plowing.