Kawasaki Mule Electronic Control Unit (ECU)

/ Kawasaki Mule Electronic Control Unit (ECU) #1  

weldingisfun

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra 4500 4WD w/FEL, and Scotts S2048 lawn tractor
The newer model Kawasaki Mule side by sides have an ECU which controls the idle speed and it cannot be adjusted other than by the dealer. The ECU on my 2017 Trans4X4 Mule began malfunctioning at 50 +/- hours. The dealer replaced it, under warranty, at 100 +/- hours. Now, at 350 hours it appears it may need to be replaced again. I have contacted the dealer and, of course, received the standard response to bring it in and they will look at it. Each trip to the dealer takes about two to three weeks for "troubleshooting and diagnosis" and repair. When the Mule is the primary piece of equipment used on our small farm operation, 2 - 3 weeks is a long time.

I would like to contact Kawasaki direct to determine if they are aware of a problem with the ECU and if their has been "fix" to the component. As I told the dealer, when our Mule is out of warranty, it will become cost prohibitive to replace the ECU every 200 to 250 hours.

Any TBNers out there with a Kawasaki product having similar experiences? If so, do any of you know how to contact Kawasaki direct for inquiries? Is there a Kawasaki "Hotline"? Any information would be appreciated.

/ Kawasaki Mule Electronic Control Unit (ECU)
UPDATE: Took the Mule in to the dealer and after five days was told it was a dirty valve body. They disassembled it, cleaned it and replaced the gaskets. When I got it back home, the idle was almost as bad as it was before I took to the dealer. The service manager explained to me that Kawasaki is aware of the ECU problem and that they will "most likely" cover repairs even after the warranty expires, Sep 2019. Kawasaki did send a survey in which I did vent about the situation. It is not a dealer or service center problem, it IS a Kawasaki problem. Hopefully that message will be received. For now, I just put up with the erratic idle. Frustrating, but I can live with it.

/ Kawasaki Mule Electronic Control Unit (ECU) #3  
Have had a similar problem with my Mule with 80 hours on the meter. Covered under warranty or would have cost $800.00 +-. I had to pay to get it back and forth to dealership. Service manager says Kawasaki is aware of the ongoing problem.

I recently paid $1,000.00 + for an extended warranty. Runs fine now...but for how long?

Have had a similar problem with my Mule with 80 hours on the meter. Covered under warranty or would have cost $800.00 +-. I had to pay to get it back and forth to dealership. Service manager says Kawasaki is aware of the ongoing problem.

I recently paid $1,000.00 + for an extended warranty. Runs fine now...but for how long?

Thall303, if you get an email survey from Kawasaki asking about your service experience, definitely respond. I just got one and let them know that the problem has persisted. Since then I have received two calls from two Kawasaki Reps. One of them says he is the Rep covering TX and to call him back if I have anymore problems. I will be taking my Mule back to the dealer next week to have the throttle body replaced. I told the TX Rep he will hear from me if that doesn't fix the problem I have his name and number. Good luck on yours. By the way, did you have your ECU replaced? Or, did they clean the throttle body. It appears that the throttle body is the main problem.

/ Kawasaki Mule Electronic Control Unit (ECU) #5  
Having the same problem with our 2014 JD 625 Gator. The dealer is somewhat clueless...as we had to take it back after they serviced it....rough idle etc. Asked them if they hooked up the engine analyzer to check for faults...their response " we don't do that unless the customer asks for it to be done". Its back in the shop...looks like a throttle body cleaning and maybe a sensor....

FINAL UPDATE: Just got the Mule back from the dealer, 25 days after dropping it off. So far so good. The Service Manager says the Throttle Control Valve (TCV) was the culprit. He had one on hand but it's specs are different for the model Mule I own. He explained that he had to convince his Kawasaki contact to allow replacement of the TCV. Apparently he convinced them that a sensor in the TCV on my Mule was defective and they agreed to ship a new one to him. A warranty is supposed to cover all factory defects, wouldn't you think? Why the hesitancy is a mystery to me? Maybe Kawasaki's customer service reps and their warranty repair reps should put their heads together. Anyway, if I get another survey from Kawasaki again I will suggest that.

/ Kawasaki Mule Electronic Control Unit (ECU) #7  
The newer model Kawasaki Mule side by sides have an ECU which controls the idle speed and it cannot be adjusted other than by the dealer. The ECU on my 2017 Trans4X4 Mule began malfunctioning at 50 +/- hours. The dealer replaced it, under warranty, at 100 +/- hours. Now, at 350 hours it appears it may need to be replaced again. I have contacted the dealer and, of course, received the standard response to bring it in and they will look at it. Each trip to the dealer takes about two to three weeks for "troubleshooting and diagnosis" and repair. When the Mule is the primary piece of equipment used on our small farm operation, 2 - 3 weeks is a long time.

I would like to contact Kawasaki direct to determine if they are aware of a problem with the ECU and if their has been "fix" to the component. As I told the dealer, when our Mule is out of warranty, it will become cost prohibitive to replace the ECU every 200 to 250 hours.

Any TBNers out there with a Kawasaki product having similar experiences? If so, do any of you know how to contact Kawasaki direct for inquiries? Is there a Kawasaki "Hotline"? Any information would be appreciated.
My 2017 Mule just started having idle issue at 1,297 hours! Called the dealer and they replaced the ECU and fuel throttle body for no charge in one day turn around! This is a known problem and Kawasaki was positively responsive! Hope they continue to be!

Happy to hear that things turned out well for you, Sweilers5.
Evidently Kawasaki did figure out the problems with the ECU. My Mule has been running flawlessly since I had it replaced in 2018.