Keep current truck forever or try to afford a new one every 5-10 years?

/ Keep current truck forever or try to afford a new one every 5-10 years? #1  

stumblinhorse

Platinum Member
Tractor
Case Farmall 75C, Kubota L3130
So what are you all thinking about the cost of new trucks? I am thinking that I am going to buy “disposable” vehicle. Something used that I don’t mind putting miles on that I can replace with something else if it gets to expensive to repair. I would only drive my 1 ton Cummins Ram for hauling etc. No trips to the store or running to the city. Try to keep my current truck literally forever. Since it seems that the replacement of a similar truck is $75k+ today, and probably more in future. The current truck will always suit my needs.

Probably a wash in the long run for cost. But I am not sure when I see new truck costs.

What is everyone else thinking on this?

/ Keep current truck forever or try to afford a new one every 5-10 years? #2  
Since I live in the south ...rust free zone per say.. and my 09 model has been paid for since 2012.. I've definitely considered it's my last purchase unless other circumstances say otherwise
I had a 90 and 94 model that I drove until 2009 when I bought my current truck..
It's just the quality of newer trucks don't compare to what was offered back then.

/ Keep current truck forever or try to afford a new one every 5-10 years? #3  
My wife still drives a 2006 f150 with over 300k on it. Still runs good but it's time is coming to an end.

I can afford a new truck, just can't justify the price. Gonna hold off on a newer one til the used market comes down.

Some folks replace their vehicles every couple of years and more power to them.

I'm a cheap a$$ who's debt free and would like to stay that way if possible

/ Keep current truck forever or try to afford a new one every 5-10 years? #4  
I keep my '97 F350 out of the snow and salt (in the garage) all winter. Bought it new in '97 and paid 35 for it which I thought was a bit excessive but compared to today's prices, I guess not. No way would I ever consider paying 75-100 grand for a truck today. One, it's a bad investment and two, if the market tanks (which seems likely) it won't be worth much anyway. Heck the entire farm was less than 75 when we bought it 37 years ago.

prices today are insane.

/ Keep current truck forever or try to afford a new one every 5-10 years? #5  
If you don't mind the existing truck and you're only using it as "farm truck" check the mileage and age and go from there. My "new" truck is a 2010 Ram with 180,000 miles on it. It used to be a road truck and it did make it from WA to So CA and back in 2021. I have a 1969 F100 that still runs fine but I need to replace the fuel tank. I'm 77 and don't see another truck in this lifetime - another car is iffy.

/ Keep current truck forever or try to afford a new one every 5-10 years? #6  
I used to buy a new truck every 3-4 years. Not anymore. $65k for an almost base model is absurd. I take care of my vehicles very well. Do recommended maintenance at twice the rate it calls for, ie, change oil and filter every 2500 miles. Air filters every 10-15 depending conditions, rotate tires, etc etc.

Now that I'm retired, I don't put that many miles on it either. So I plan to keep this 2020 F150 until the wheels fall off, the engine blows, or I die whichever is first.

/ Keep current truck forever or try to afford a new one every 5-10 years? #7  
I bought a new 2021 Ram 1500 4x4 before the chip shortage for 43K but made the mistake of trading in my 2003 Ram 2500 that only had 100K on it. The 5.7 hemi has the ECO mode so gas mileage is not bad but it would have been better to keep the 03 2500. It also had the 5.7 hemi that ran great and more than enough power.

/ Keep current truck forever or try to afford a new one every 5-10 years? #8  
I live in one of the most heavily salted areas of the country and I have yet to buy a new truck during the current century. When my first 00 3/4 ton Chevy 4x4 standard cab long box rusted to the point that it would not pass state inspection, I gave it to my father in law. He uses it for snow plowing, at his retirement home, up in the mountains.

He pulled the box off it and had the frame sandblasted and reinforced (lots of spare time on his hands being retired). It passed inspection after that and probably has many years left in it.

The year that I gave it to him, I picked up another low mileage used 00 3/4 ton Chevy. This one is a 2wd, extended cab and was only driven in Florida. I don’t drive it much in the winter, and I have been giving it a Carwell rust-proofing treatment every other year. It is still rust free. I hope to not ever need to purchase another new truck.

Each of these now has about 80k miles on them. They both have 6.0 liter V8 engines. Neither of them has ever left me stranded or needed a tow. The rear driveshaft did succumb to corrosion on the 4x4 at a boat launch, 11 years ago. I pulled it out of the back of the transfer case, tossed it in the box, shifted into 4wd, and pulled the boat home with just the front axle.

I’d have been in tough shape, had that happened to the 2wd. I do prefer the 2wd for use with my camper, because it keeps the center of gravity lower, is easier to load, and gets slightly better fuel mileage.

D0BC9331-12BB-4E29-AC34-E61E63D3C654.jpeg

0AEB1BFB-9ED3-4037-A2BB-E1A382F45045.jpeg

As far as cost goes, I think the first one was about $ 21 k new (base model with AC, rubber floor mats and hand crank windows). The used FL 2wd cost me $ 5 k 10 years ago. It is the “camper special” model with all the options.

Last edited:
   / Keep current truck forever or try to afford a new one every 5-10 years? #9  
I've never purchased a new truck because of costs. Let other people do the depreciation.
My current 2002 Chevy quad cab has a little over 400,000 miles on it. My previous 1965 Ford F250 had more than that when she got retired.
I had a full shop to do repairs so I could keep them running(good hobbie with lots of friends helping because of the full shop), I would buy parts from auto salvage to keep repair costs down.
I don't see doing any engine swaps of repairs on vehicles as I am not physically capable of doing the work safely anymore.
I am hoping that the current rig last until I go to be with the Lord.

/ Keep current truck forever or try to afford a new one every 5-10 years? #10  
Just bought a used '17 Tundra. It is up to 160k miles with our trips 150 miles each way to our property. We have maybe 2-3 months moving, maybe 12 weeks, 12 round trips × 300 miles, so 3600 more miles on it before we retire. After that, it will be on the farm 90% of the time. We may have to take it up to my folks whenever they pass..., that's about 1600 miles, probably twice. Point is, it will be a long time before that truck sees 200k. God willing, it will still be running when the kids haul us off the property in a bag.