Keep current truck forever or try to afford a new one every 5-10 years?

/ Keep current truck forever or try to afford a new one every 5-10 years? #121  
I know that my 5.9 Cummins gets 20 mpg and my neighbor has the same truck with a V8. Not sure of the size. He only gets 14 mpg. And the high mileage resale value does make up for the initial higher purchase price.
5.9 doesn't have all this new emissions stuff though. I had a 5.9 and they were great on fuel.

Try comparing a new 6.7 SCR/DPF. They get as bad as 11 US MPG towing.

Besides my big trucks I used to haul RV's from the factories with one tons. I know all about what they REALLY get for mileage, not what the marketing department tries to sell you.

/ Keep current truck forever or try to afford a new one every 5-10 years? #122  
I know that my 5.9 Cummins gets 20 mpg and my neighbor has the same truck with a V8. Not sure of the size. He only gets 14 mpg. And the high mileage resale value does make up for the initial higher purchase price.
You are right about resale though.....diesel will be worth more. But so is maintenance, fuel and the purchase price. And all the downtime you will get with all your NOX sensors and DPF issues, LOL

/ Keep current truck forever or try to afford a new one every 5-10 years? #123  
5.9 doesn't have all this new emissions stuff though. I had a 5.9 and they were great on fuel.

Try comparing a new 6.7 SCR/DPF. They get as bad as 11 US MPG towing.

Besides my big trucks I used to haul RV's from the factories with one tons. I know all about what they REALLY get for mileage, not what the marketing department tries to sell you.
Well I don’t have any experience with the 6.7, just the 5.9, so I’m sure you’re right. I will keep the 5.9 as long as possible.

/ Keep current truck forever or try to afford a new one every 5-10 years? #124  
You are right about resale though.....diesel will be worth more. But so is maintenance, fuel and the purchase price. And all the downtime you will get with all your NOX sensors and DPF issues, LOL
Maintenance on the 5.9 is negligible. Annually, I change air and fuel filters, and oil/filter change according to miles. I can do everything at home. I know that’s not easy with the new powerstrokes, IDK about the new Cummins or Duramax?

/ Keep current truck forever or try to afford a new one every 5-10 years? #125  
07 5.9 Cummins 130K I'll probably keep it till the very end.

/ Keep current truck forever or try to afford a new one every 5-10 years? #126  
07 5.9 Cummins 130K I'll probably keep it till the very end.
Mine is also an 07 5.9 Cummins. The last year those were available. Everyone wants these. I’m keeping mine also.

/ Keep current truck forever or try to afford a new one every 5-10 years? #127  
Been running a 6.7 for 3 years. Zero issues, except factory warranty required replacement of my pump. There was nothing wrong with it, they told me bring it in for a new pump. Safety issue with bad CP-4 pumps.
Emissions system has been fine so far, but only 40K miles.
Tows/pulls like the truck I always wanted.
I get about 14 around town/towing and thats with 4.88’s.

Last edited:
   / Keep current truck forever or try to afford a new one every 5-10 years? #128  
Another bad thing about these new emissions diesels is if you don't drive them often which I don't use my pickups often, is DEF fluid deteriorates over time. So if you aren't using and replacing it with fresh stuff, eventually you are going to have issues.
The new diesels need to be run hard and steady.
That is true. The DPF also needs to be super heated regularly to keep the particulate burned off. You don’t want a post emissions diesel for a grocery getter. You need to use them for what they are made for.
Emissions destroyed the diesel truck as a recreational vehicle.

/ Keep current truck forever or try to afford a new one every 5-10 years? #129  
Mine is also an 07 5.9 Cummins. The last year those were available. Everyone wants these. I’m keeping mine also.
Good plan to keep that. That's what I had. 07 Megacab dually. They only had a catalytic converter. Then replaced it with a 6.0 Ford Powerstroke because it was way better on fuel, but then it blew up twice. LOL

/ Keep current truck forever or try to afford a new one every 5-10 years? #130  
Good plan to keep that. That's what I had. 07 Megacab dually. They only had a catalytic converter. Then replaced it with a 6.0 Ford Powerstrokebecause it was way better on fuel, but then it blew up twice. LOL
Man were those things a BIG problem.