Keeping the Ag Exemption

/ Keeping the Ag Exemption #11  
Lloyd,
Could you tell me more about the wildlife exemption. We're in Texas also. We lost the AG exemption on our land cause we wern't generating any income from it, but we've been developing it on our own to enhance the wildlife, sure would be nice to get a tax break. After seeing your post, I'm going to call the extension service and see what they can tell me about it, but would appreciate any info from someone who's been there.

Thanks,
Dave Perry

/ Keeping the Ag Exemption #12  
<font color=blue>Could you tell me more about the wildlife exemption.</font color=blue>

I'm not Lloyd, but I'll give you some info..../w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Basically, the process goes something like this:

1) Get the wildlife management guideline info specific to your region of Texas. (downloadable in PDF format from the Texas Parks & Wildlife website)

2) Meet with a TPWD wildlife biologist to help you understand what makes sense to do with your land to increase wildlife. (This is optional, but adds weight when submitting to the tax assessor.) Your local tax office can tell you who is the TPWD biologist they commonly work with, or just contact TPWD and ask them who to use in your area.

3) Create a formalized wildlife management plan (document). This outlines what you will be doing. Technically it is the responsibility of the landowner, but some biologists or services will write it up for you if you think you can’t. (There are some examples you can utilize to write it up, so you aren’t completely alone when making one.)

4) Submit your plan and 1-d-1(w) paperwork to the county tax assessor for consideration & approval.

The link below is basically a premier of what is involved to qualify.
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/conserve/agland/>TPWD Wildlife Management Plan Qualification Guidelines</A>

Unfortunately lots of folks think the Wildlife Management exemption status ( 1-d-1(w) ) is a cheap and easy way out of paying taxes. Be forewarned - it is neither.

You'll still have to meet intensity requirements based on the activities you choose to conduct and have to do them on a continuous basis. (a $350 deer feeder on a couple of dozen acres isn't gonna cut it with the State.) Yes, you'll save $ overall, but just realize it isn't "free" either. Don't get me wrong, I'm a HUGE fan of the program, just wanna make clear that it requires real dollars and work to implement.

<font color=blue>We lost the AG exemption on our land</font color=blue>

Here's where you have a problem. /w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif

Basically, as you'll read in the primer of qualifying in the link I put above, you can convert land already in ag production (1-d-1) to wildlife, but not convert non-ag land straight to wildlife. Basically the law was written to encourage land purchased from existing ranchers/farmers to either remain in production or "go wild," not to convert land that has already been allowed to go out of production to get a tax break.

<font color=blue>cause we wern't generating any income from it</font color=blue>

/w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif Sounds fishy. As long as you converted from a 1-d to a 1-d-1 and were meeting the intensity requirements for your type of production/locale, they should not have revoked your ag exemption. (1-d is the income based exemption, 1-d-1 is the intensity based exemption). 'Course if you weren't conducting any agriculture operations, only makes sense to revoke the status.

Hope this helps.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.window.state.tx.us/taxinfo/taxforms/50-129.pdf>1-d-1 Agriculture Form</A>

/ Keeping the Ag Exemption #13  
we are in texas and when i bought a small 6 acre place i was concerned about an "AG" exemption also. as it turned out the place i bought had a history of ag production for more than 20 years prior to the 2 years that the party i bought from. so what i did was go to the appraisal district and explained to them that i wanted to use it for hay production exclusively and since it was not more than 2 years since the "AG" exemption had elapsed, they grant me a ag(1-d-1). if i would have waited any longer i would not be able to qualify for it and would have to prove production for 5 out of the next 7 years before qualifying. also they have standards for amount of cattle and other ag activities so bear that in mind. like someone else said, just having one cow does NOT qualify for and automatic exemption. also our appraisal district DOES do regular "drivebys" to make sure the land is really being used for the intended purpose. i think that is a good thing because it keeps the "deadbeats" from using the tax system to thier advantage while everyone has to pay. what it all boils down to is this: be honest with the authorities and do what you say you are going to do and you should be okay. most of the tax entities are reasonable people and will work with you and sometime cut a little slack for you if you have a problem. just be honest with them. be safe!

/ Keeping the Ag Exemption
My heartfelt thanks for all the replies - they are a huge help.

I do have the info from the county as to minimum requirements for the property to qualify for the ag exemption and you are right - 1 cow will not cut it. That was another reason for going with hay production - that's really what our property is best suited for anyway. Per the county, we would need 8 cows as a minimum and I want to have some time under our belt before I start looking for livestock. I might also consider leasing some portion for grazing, but the most streamlined way right now seems to point to hay production.

I don't want to start another topic here, but we have also gotten info on ponds from the county and they are very helpful. They will come out and help with location, sizing, design, etc. They also come out and check it for you after it's done. We also found out that there is some small amount of funding assistance depending on what the purpose is of the pond and how you stock it. Anyway, more on that later.

We have been very up-front with the county (hard to hide ignorance anyway) and they really have tried to be helpful in advising us on how to keep the exemption. My attitude is to be honest with them on what we want to do rather than try to weasel something by them. They have also been a great source of info from ponds to wildflower seeding, so no complaints here.

Like I said, thanks for your comments. I'll keep the printer going so I can read over them a few times. Takes more than once for the old brain to register /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Keeping the Ag Exemption #15  
Chevdog - How about starting another thread on what you found out about the pond building. I am planning on having a pond built, but never even thought about the county helping plan, design, and maybe partially fund it. Is that thru the county extension service? I am also in Texas (Fannin County near Bonham).

/ Keeping the Ag Exemption #16  
These should keep you busy reading. Every thing from construction to stocking to diseases...

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://agprogram.tamu.edu/agropolis/animals/texasfish.html>Everything you want to know - hosted by Texas A&M</A>

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dnr.cornell.edu/ext/fish/Pond/otherresources.htm?otherresourcesdoc.htm~mainFrame>Site with info from several different states</A>

/ Keeping the Ag Exemption #17  
Ranchman, nice links, but you didn't credit my alma mater, <font color=red>CORNELL</font color=red>, for the second link /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

/ Keeping the Ag Exemption #18  
Sorry 'bout that - let's just say I'm a little more observant when it comes to things that are associated with <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tamu.edu/>A&M</A>..../w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif Probably best not to get me started on A&M or I'll probably go on for a lot longer than you want to listen..../w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

"Give me an army of West Point graduates, I'll win a battle. Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war!"

--Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

/ Keeping the Ag Exemption
Class of 78. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

BBTX - will do, but let me get some more info from the county on this.

Thanks for the links - I will add those to my ever increasing ag folder.

PS - Scott, I found that Sealy concrete has the best pricing for fill, gravel, road base, etc. They are bringing out 56 yards of fill for the pole barn site for me to play with tomorrow. Sort of like the young days of Tonka Toys in the sandbox!

/ Keeping the Ag Exemption #20  
Ooo, Ooo, Ooo. I wanna play, I mean work, too.. That sounds fun. I have the whole weekend off to "work" on my land.... I had heard that Sealy Concrete was a good place to get it from. I also heard they are always looking for Iron Ore which is what my dirt is...... perhaps..... hummmm....

On a side note, I visted Sealy Tractor and I would have to say that they are about as nice as can be and the pricing was great. He remembered you too....