Keyhole Garden

/ Keyhole Garden #1  

txdon

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 3032E
I'm going to build a keyhole garden. It is basically a (6') round (3') raised bed garden with access to the middle (shaped like a keyhole) where compost is deposited which feeds the plants as it decomposes. Does anyone have one and if so how is it working out?

/ Keyhole Garden #4  
My wife kinda does that with a herb garden ... she had me get a big old tractor rear tire and some dirt ... she took the first year composting in the tire and mixing in dirt ... as for how its working I don't know ... she swears by it.

She has parsley, winter onions, dill, mustard seed (greens) and I think more. I can tell you when its time we have an abundance of the stuff she has in it. I love those winter onions.

I remember once she brought in some tomatoes at a weird time of the year ... when I asked her about it ... she said I guess they just grew from the tomatoe's I was composting.

/ Keyhole Garden #6  
If you search for keyhole gardens and permaculture, you'll find plenty of information. Keyhole beds are used regularly in permaculture gardening. Happy digging! Still a ways off before we'll be digging in our frozen soil in Maine, but we're getting there (right?).

Bob

/ Keyhole Garden

Attachments

• keyhole garden 1.jpg
    keyhole garden 1.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 4,352
  • detail_keyhole_comp.jpg
    detail_keyhole_comp.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 713
   / Keyhole Garden #8  
So what do you do when the center basket fills up? Is this something you dig out each year and start over?

/ Keyhole Garden
So what do you do when the center basket fills up? Is this something you dig out each year and start over?

Good Question. Since you water from the center, I would think as the center decomposes it turns to soil and runs out. But at some time I also think it will fill up. I'll find out. I'll make the center basket wide enough to get a shovel in it.

Thanks for the links Robert. I'll soon be at the point of filling it up and the links gave me some ideas of what to do with some cow bones.