Kidde Fire Extinguisher Recall

/ Kidde Fire Extinguisher Recall #1  

ning

Elite Member
Tractor
Branson 3520h
I learned about a recall for Kidde fire extinguishers on this site in some thread, but I can't find the thread, so I'm posting anew: Kidde Fire Extinguisher Recall

For the most part, Kidde extinguishers with plastic junk on top - either the pull pin or other parts - seem to have problems (apparently some emergency responders had them fail on them and deaths resulted).

I checked all of our extinguishers, and found two smaller ones that looked likely; they were probably 15 years old but had no date code on them, but I submitted the form anyways (need to find the serial number).

The web form says something like "thanks we'll get back to you" - about two weeks later I got two new fire extinguishers in the mail, with instructions and a label to return my old ones (you call FedEx and tell them that it's a hazardous pickup, and they come and get them).

Seems to be time well spent.

/ Kidde Fire Extinguisher Recall #4  
Thanks for the reminder. I've been ignoring this for a while but today it's too hot to get work done outside or go for a ride, so I made a list of the extinguishers we have and submitted the ones that look like they're recalled.

Does Kidde want the returns to be fully charged? Are the contents hazardous? I'm thinking that the recalled units could be used for practice. My wife's never operated one and it's been 30+ years since I have.

/ Kidde Fire Extinguisher Recall #5  
Kidde replaced all mine under the recall.

A recent thread showing off a new fire extinguisher on a tractor prompted me to go buy a couple of new ones for my tractors. I need to get one more for my truck.

Looked out the kitchen window this morning and saw my well on fire. I had one non Kidde extinguisher on the wall and grabbed it. The plastic pin broke and wouldn't release the trigger. About that time I thought to turn off the breaker and the fire went out. Wasn't enough left of the pressure switch to determine the cause but a new switch and gauge got me back in business. I ended up cutting the pin out of that fire extinguisher and hangin it back on the wall. Hate to throw anything away that might be useful. Won't take but a second to see if it will work next time I need one and another is always close by.

/ Kidde Fire Extinguisher Recall
Thanks for the reminder. I've been ignoring this for a while but today it's too hot to get work done outside or go for a ride, so I made a list of the extinguishers we have and submitted the ones that look like they're recalled.

Does Kidde want the returns to be fully charged? Are the contents hazardous? I'm thinking that the recalled units could be used for practice. My wife's never operated one and it's been 30+ years since I have.

They wanted the extinguishers - as they are, no questions asked - put in the boxes that the new ones came to me, and the enclosed shipping label slapped on the box, and they supplied instructions for telling FedEx (including phone number) that the shipment is hazardous, and that you are not to take it to FedEx - they come and pick it up.

Very simple, package, put label on, and call FedEx, say come and get it.

I'm going to necro this thread because I recently found an older fire extinguisher that had been (put into) hiding before.

This recall is still active and if you have any that match, they will send you a brand new one.

/ Kidde Fire Extinguisher Recall #8  
Thanks for the info. I checked my fire extinguishers stock had 6 that met the recall. Most were taken out of service from low pressure and up to 30 years old. Had switched to metal handle other brands.

Filled out the forms, got an email acknowledgment and see what happens.

Thanks for the info. I checked my fire extinguishers stock had 6 that met the recall. Most were taken out of service from low pressure and up to 30 years old. Had switched to metal handle other brands.

Filled out the forms, got an email acknowledgment and see what happens.
A couple of weeks and you'll probably have 6 brand new extinguishers! Don't harm the boxes they come in - you'll be putting the old ones into them, and then calling fedex for pickup (free).

/ Kidde Fire Extinguisher Recall #10  
I didn't know I need to buy the fire extinguishers this much and I also have the Easter Coupon Codes that I can redeem on buying anything from that Online store. So, why not the fire extinguisher? kindly let me know the best brand and model to buy one because I have never bought a fire extinguisher before.