Kill a big pine tree

/ Kill a big pine tree #1  

RoyKing

Platinum Member
Tractor
M7060HSC/18, RTV-X1100C
So this very tall pine tree grew enough to block one of the Three satellite's my dish uses. It was too big for my chain saw, and I didn't really want drop it, because the woods are thick and will crash into lots of stuff on the way down.

So we plunge cut it all the way around it, and drove wedges in on side we don't want to fall.

Left about 8 inch core, how long to die, how long till falls.

/ Kill a big pine tree #2  
That's an un-figurable situation. It could die in a few weeks, it could fall in the wrong direction with a strong wind. It could stay up for years. It's a widow maker now.

/ Kill a big pine tree #3  
Job for a professional now with bucket truck. Don't think a tree climber will touch it.

/ Kill a big pine tree #4  
Wedges may or may not direct its fall... What do you expect to happen when it falls ? Anything valuable in reach of the tree ? If So, Call a professional arborist ASAP.

/ Kill a big pine tree
Nothing but more trees to fall on, Just need for top three feet to die off. Would have cost about $500 for climber to drop it wear it is at in pieces. The ones that get zap by lighting but not enough to lite them up are down within a year. Last year it was so wet you'd sit on porch and hear some thing big crashings quite often. Had two tin sheds that had been fine for 25 plus years get crushed, three trees that were leaning over trying get sunlite crash over into the yard. Hate to kill this one it was a big straight one, lot of wood in it.

/ Kill a big pine tree #6  
What you done it will come down now just when,and how much damage hope no one near the tree at the time.

/ Kill a big pine tree #7  
You have created a dangerous situation with no known time table. JMHO - I would go ahead and fall it or have a professional do it. NOW!!

/ Kill a big pine tree #8  
Hey Roy, I,m half joking here, but I think this topic should of been posted in What dumb things have you done to-day ? Sounds like a very unsafe thing to do, even if it is out in the woods, all by itself. Hope you don,t have any dogs or cats roaming around outside on their own, and happen to be at the wrong place at the wrong time.

/ Kill a big pine tree #9  
The term "Step over a dollar to pick up a dime" seems appropriate here.

/ Kill a big pine tree #10  
Go ahead and V notch is on the side you want it to fall. If your saw cuts all but 8" of the diameter, you can cut 8-10 blocks out of the opposite side so you can saw if through. I wouldn't leave it standing like it is now. If laying it down any direction isn't a problem, someone would finish cutting it for minimal $$.