Kinetic Flywheel Wood Splitter

/ Kinetic Flywheel Wood Splitter #1  

mikesee

Silver Member
Tractor
BX2660, RTV 900, RTV 1140 CXP, B21, KX-018-3, KX 121-4
Hi: Splitting a 24" round of Ash

/ Kinetic Flywheel Wood Splitter #2  
wow, that works pretty good. i will be picking up a splitter in the next year or so. i was thinking of a 3pt splitter from DR. but not sure, that kinetic seems good.

/ Kinetic Flywheel Wood Splitter #4  
I have a SuperSplit, it's known as the original. They have machines still running that are 20-30 years old. Very simple design. They are expensive but you cannot match the speed unless you start talking about a quick cycle hydro machine with a 6-8 way wedge and the price of those units is insane.
They split oak and hardwood great, softwood can be an issue. Due to the smaller wedge once you start getting into really big rounds it's easier to noodle them in half with your saw and then split them.
Just know some companies are making Kinetic machines, many have tried and no longer make them. That was a huge factor in my decision to go with a SS, while more expensive when I call I get the owner or his son not some technical support person who has never seen a machine. I also know they stand behind the product.
Anyway best of luck.

/ Kinetic Flywheel Wood Splitter
It would have a tough time with a 24" oak. Up to 18" no problem.

/ Kinetic Flywheel Wood Splitter
Thanks. I have had good luck with this machine so far

/ Kinetic Flywheel Wood Splitter #7  
I have a SuperSplit, it's known as the original.

Yeah, and if I were going to buy one, I'd buy the original, not the knockoff. I don't know if his patent ran out or if the copycats just made a tiny change enough to be able to rip off his design, but I would rather my money go to the guy who put the brainpower and sweat into creating it, than into a copycat company. This design was truly original thinking, and his creativity and hard work ought to be rewarded.

Due to the smaller wedge once you start getting into really big rounds it's easier to noodle them in half with your saw and then split them.

There's the downfall for me. Most of what I get is big oak, and I can't take the time to noodle them all. I need a splitter that will do that, so I'll be sticking with my hydraulic.

/ Kinetic Flywheel Wood Splitter #8  
I've got the same machine (but no electric start) it's been way faster than I am, and handles some enormous rounds, mostly splayed maple and ash. I finally did the stop bolt adjustment, till now never understood what it was for, but should stop jamming the handle down now. When I look back at what I paid for it, I think I shoulda just got the hydro unit, not splitting enough wood to make a difference, but all in still happy with it.
MT

/ Kinetic Flywheel Wood Splitter #9  
Necrothread but no good reason to start a new one.

We have a DR Power K55, discontinued as the K34 seems to do the same job. Purchased in 2014. Overall very pleased as the cycle time is much faster than hydraulics and it’s split everything we have (Ash, Birch, Hornbeam, Maple, Red Oak. Limited amounts of White Pine and Eastern Hemlock).

Recently the bearing that holds the rack gear against the pinion gear broke. The parts manual listed the bearing as “Bearing, Yoke, Roller, 1.25” OD, 3/8 ID, 0.813” wide.”

Ordered the part from McMaster for $36 plus shipping. Delivered next day.

For reference, the rack and pinion gears are supposed to be greased every ten hours. Hadn’t been doing that. The pinion gear is shiny but not worn. On it!

Attachments

• 01C05C3B-65BF-4598-AD4D-C4DC0F97DF84.jpeg
    01C05C3B-65BF-4598-AD4D-C4DC0F97DF84.jpeg
    79.7 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
   / Kinetic Flywheel Wood Splitter #10  
Recently purchased a Power King and pleased with it.

Built a "bucking" table to go with it.