Tiller King Kutter tiller versions?

/ King Kutter tiller versions? #1  

Jeff59Va

Tractor
Kubota L3240HST, Kubota RTV1120D, Kubota BX2380
I am planning on buying a 60 inch King Kutter tiller at a farm store local to me. They have 2 different models for essentially the same price. I took some pictures of the main differences - any opinions on the better/stronger design?

Model 1 - continuous welds
KK_style1_center.png

KK_style1_edge.png

Model 2 - additional bar, but no continuous welds:
KK_style2_center.png

KK_style2_edge.png

Originally I went thinking I wanted the Model 2 and now I'm thinking Model 1 seems better.

The tiller will be used for light duty homeowner use, so maybe I'm over thinking it :laughing:

Thoughts?

/ King Kutter tiller versions? #2  
Personally I liked the gear box housing on #1 vs the plate/cover gearbox of #2. I would likely go #1 for that reason alone given the pictures you sent

/ King Kutter tiller versions? #3  
They make the professional, standard, and XB light duty. It looks like you are comparing the XB to the Pro model? I agree with cglaser104 to get the cast gearbox. Weight is your friend when tilling.

/ King Kutter tiller versions?
   / King Kutter tiller versions? #5  
Not the XB really - that XB was the only thing they had in stock with that same construction.

Here are the links:

Model 1: King Kutter 5 Foot Professional Gear Driven Rotary Tiller TG G 6

Model 2: King Kutter 5 Foot Gear Driven Tiller TG-6-Y

Maybe one is professional and one not? Model 1 is heavier I believe.
I have an older version of model #2 from the link. It's the 4' offset version and it's been an absolute tank. The #2 red one you have pics of looks like a different design that what you sent in link's.

/ King Kutter tiller versions? #6  
I have an older version of model #2 from the link. It's the 4' offset version and it's been an absolute tank. The #2 red one you have pics of looks like a different design that what you sent in link's.

I too have the normal standard version like the link shows. I have no clue which model the #2 picture is showing as it has no cast iron gear case on the side.:confused: It sure looks like a XB to me......

/ King Kutter tiller versions? #7  
I am planning on buying a 60 inch King Kutter tiller at a farm store local to me. They have 2 different models for essentially the same price. I took some pictures of the main differences - any opinions on the better/stronger design?

Model 1 - continuous welds
View attachment 678891

View attachment 678892

Model 2 - additional bar, but no continuous welds:
View attachment 678893

View attachment 678894

Originally I went thinking I wanted the Model 2 and now I'm thinking Model 1 seems better.

The tiller will be used for light duty homeowner use, so maybe I'm over thinking it :laughing:

Thoughts?

My 60" KK tiller (12 yrs old- never used) is the same as model #1.

I think in model #2 they found a way to cheapen fabrication.

/ King Kutter tiller versions? #8  
The #2 picture shows the tiller that says "sub-compact" on it. The only tiller listed on the KK site in the sub-compact category is the 4ft XB model.

King Kutter. XB Tiller 4''' Gear Drive

/ King Kutter tiller versions?
Ok, may bad. Model 2 that I took pictures of is an XB and I guess the gearbox connection is different from the regular tiller models. All I was really trying to show with the pictures were the different construction with the bars and the welds (that XB was all they had in stock with that construction). So sort of ignore my pictures and look at the links.

It sounds like you guys are saying you have this model: King Kutter 5 Foot Gear Driven Tiller TG-6-Y and it's a tank, but the one in the other link may be a cheapened version?

/ King Kutter tiller versions? #10  
Ok, may bad. Model 2 that I took pictures of is an XB and I guess the gearbox connection is different from the regular tiller models. All I was really trying to show with the pictures were the different construction with the bars and the welds (that XB was all they had in stock with that construction). So sort of ignore my pictures and look at the links.

It sounds like you guys are saying you have this model: King Kutter 5 Foot Gear Driven Tiller TG-6-Y and it's a tank, but the one in the other link may be a cheapened version?
That's correct. It's a beast.

Not sure if the other is cheapened but it is a little different.