KingKutter bush hog hitting tires of JD790

/ KingKutter bush hog hitting tires of JD790 #1  

SaM@HP

Tractor
John Deere 790
Hi all, new to managing my own property and maintaining my own equipment. Bought a used JD790 with KingKutter bush hog. The bush hog has started hitting the tires of my tractor if I’m on a slope or attempting a tight maneuver. Am I missing something here on my tractor? Are the stabilizers adjusted wrong? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 5AC6D2BF-493F-49DA-9B78-ECF77D353AB7.jpeg
    5AC6D2BF-493F-49DA-9B78-ECF77D353AB7.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 196
  • BA053D90-5083-435F-B73A-983A0EA0BD4A.jpeg
    BA053D90-5083-435F-B73A-983A0EA0BD4A.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 184
  • 0035BF92-7658-46F2-86A7-90C1004112E0.jpeg
    0035BF92-7658-46F2-86A7-90C1004112E0.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 207
   / KingKutter bush hog hitting tires of JD790 #2  
you need to adjust the stabiliser chains to limit the sway of the lift arms. looks like they are already quite short though.

/ KingKutter bush hog hitting tires of JD790 #3  
Am I missing something here on my tractor?

Show us a pic of when it is hitting your tires.. may help diagnose the problem better for you.

/ KingKutter bush hog hitting tires of JD790 #4  
With the mower connected try raising it such that most of the weight is on the lift arms. Push it side to side. The stabilizers should be adjusted to remove most (but not all) of the slack, hopefully preventing it from swinging side to side and contacting the tires. If your lift arms are too short, raised all the way it may still contact the tires. That, of course, is another potential problem to be addressed.

/ KingKutter bush hog hitting tires of JD790 #5  
I wonder - how much side to side sway is in that bush hog hitch itself. Could be that if the bolts are tightened - a lot of the side sway will be gone.

/ KingKutter bush hog hitting tires of JD790 #6  
You might be able to mount the lower link pins on the brush hog to the inside (facing in) for more clearance of your lower links?

/ KingKutter bush hog hitting tires of JD790 #7  
Sam has not hooked back up yet with this thread that he started.
I too am wondering what hit the tires.. don't see how the brush hog hit, but can see how the lower lift arms could hit.. and Zebrafive has a good solution for that.
The brush hog just seems to have been modified and does not fit this size tractor in the present configuration.
Hope the OP comes and gets us on track to help.

/ KingKutter bush hog hitting tires of JD790 #8  
I have a 5310 and was having very similar problems with my bush hog as well. However, I dont think it was hitting my tires, but it was swaying a good bit. I had chains tightening as much as i could. Someone on here recommended I add a a spacer (bushing) when hooking the arms up to the bush hog and it helped tremendously. I ended up getting some pipe and cutting it down with a chop saw.

Last edited:
   / KingKutter bush hog hitting tires of JD790
So sorry, I wasn’t getting notifications about comments to this thread until today. I appreciate the input. I admit I am a newbie to tractor care and am not sure how to implement the suggestions so will have to find someone to help me.
I have discovered that the bush hog hits the tires when I have it all the way up and am traveling from point A to point B. If I’m vigilant, don’t turn too tightly, I can get the bush hogging done without hitting the tires.
After reading the suggestions here, I suspect that yes, this implement is likely just the wrong size for my tractor but I can’t do anything about that at this time.
Thank you all for the comments.

/ KingKutter bush hog hitting tires of JD790 #10  
I would start with bnew17's spacer (bushing) suggestion to fill the space between the lower lift link hitch pins and the lower lift arms. If that doesn't work, turn the pins around on the cutter and mount from the inside.