Kioti DK 35 FEL leaking down periodically

/ Kioti DK 35 FEL leaking down periodically #1  

bill ns

Bronze Member
Tractor
1970 ,276 International Harvester2008 dk 35 kioti, 1957 cockshutt540
My FEL will leak down sometimes with weight and sometimes with out weight It has been happening fairly regularly I ordered a seal kit for both cylinders but havent gotten a chance to replace them yet I am curious if it is the cylinders because it is random Today i was moving gravel around and it was solid as the day it was new The tractor is 14 years old and gets a lot of use especially moving round bales of hay Any thoughts?

/ Kioti DK 35 FEL leaking down periodically #2  
I would suggest checking all the linkage between the joy stick and valve spool. It is possible that something is binding preventing the spool from spring returning to center which would allow the loader to randomly drift.

could also be crud in the can covering the spool centering spring assembly

/ Kioti DK 35 FEL leaking down periodically #3  
It can't be leaking down because of the seals, you could remove the seals and it wouldn't leak down. It has to be something like the spool valve or the kind of things oldnslo suggested.

/ Kioti DK 35 FEL leaking down periodically
I agree I dont think its the seals in the lift cylinders either . Thanks for the validation . Do you think a fluid change and new filter would help ? I guess it cant hurt .

/ Kioti DK 35 FEL leaking down periodically #5  
I would try some simple diagnostics first. Switch the dump hoses with the lift hoses and see if the dump leaks down and the boom doesn't. Then you're certain it's something to do with the valve or the control linkage on the valve. Then disconnect the linkage on that valve and see if it leaks down. If it does, it's something in the valve itself. I would start by removing the bottom cups to see if they're full of rust and crud that's keeping the spool from moving freely. If it is, the fix is easy. If it's not, you're probably into territory where it's worth taking it to a hydraulic place for further testing and repair.

/ Kioti DK 35 FEL leaking down periodically #6  
I wish people would do some basic troubleshooting before ordering and replacing parts on a whim.

Thankfully you havent wasted time rebuilding the cylinders yet.

IF there is nothing physically holding a valve open, like cable, linkage, crud in the can, etc then its a valve problem.

What is the rate of leak down? Gotta answer that to determine if its even worth messing with. IF it isnt effecting operation, and the leak down isnt noticeable like the loader was 2' in the air when parked and next day on the ground then leave it alone.

/ Kioti DK 35 FEL leaking down periodically #7  
Even brand new equipment will leak down if Hydraulics are left in the air which is totally normal

/ Kioti DK 35 FEL leaking down periodically #8  
I have four FELs that drop 6" - 1' overnight.

/ Kioti DK 35 FEL leaking down periodically #9  
So do mine. I totally ignore it and it's the spool valve seats not the cylinders anyway. Very few don't leak down far as I can see.