Kioti DK 45 - starter problem

/ Kioti DK 45 - starter problem #1  

rtimgray

Veteran Member
I tried to start my old Kioti DK45 a couple of days ago and it wouldn't hit a lick. I assumed that maybe I had left the key switch on overnight, so I took the battery off and charged it. I put on a known good battery and tried to start it in the meantime, with the same results - nothing.

The glow plug light came on, as did the other dash lights, but there wasn't even a click from the starter.

After doing a little checking, I made sure that I had 12 volts to the start from the battery; then I jumped to the other side of the starter terminal and it spun without engaging (I made sure the tractor was in neutral). I then removed the connector from the solenoid spade terminal and checked it's voltage while my nephew tried turning the key - I got about 8 volts. When I used a jumper wire from the "hot" starter terminal to the solenoid terminal, the starter engaged and the tractor fired up as normal.

Any ideas on what component might need to be replaced? Is there a starter relay somewhere that isn't making full contact or is faulty? I haven't had much daylight time to try to work on it due to other commitments, but I was wondering if anyone had experienced this particular issue before and had and idea.

Thanks and take care.

/ Kioti DK 45 - starter problem #2  
Is there any chance you left the PTO on? That would be simplest solution.

I understand the starter relay does give quite a bit of trouble on these models. It is fastened to a plate directly in front of the fuel tank, along side of the glow plug relay. The two relays are identical, and from previous reports, you can swap the relays & check to see if your starter now works (& your glow plugs no longer work) I have not had this problem, so I do not have first hand knowledge of these relays - but thanks to keeping up with this forum - if I do have this (or many other problems), I will already have several options to check out! This forum is a great tool to have in your belt! By the way, if this relay is bad, it is (apparently) a very common relay available at most any Auto Parts store....& cheap.

It sounds like you have (like me) the manual shift transmission?? If so, you already know about the clutch safety switch...I haven't noticed any comments (complaints) about this switch failing, but I would think either the "ignition" switch, or the clutch switch would be the next logical step in the trouble shooting process.

Perhaps have your nephew try starting the tractor, while you listen closely to see if one of the relays (in front of the fuel tank) "clicks". If it does (click), it would seem likely that would vindicate everything up to that relay (& you have already vindicated the battery, battery cables, starter, and starter solenoid) So, to my mind, that only leaves the relay (most likely) and a very short run of wiring (not likely). If the relay does not "click", unplug the harness from the relay, there should be 4 wires. One wire should have 12 volts at all times, another wire should have 12 volts when "ign" switch is in "start" position (PTO off, clutch pedal depressed), the third wire should go straight to ground, and the fourth wire will go to the spade connector at the starter solenoid that you previously removed.

From your post, it sounds like you are quite "comfortable" around voltmeters and trouble shooting, so you should be able to track down the fault fairly quickly.

Best of luck,,,we are all pulling for you! Keep us posted,,what you find will likely be a big help to someone else in the future (maybe me!!)

Last edited:
   / Kioti DK 45 - starter problem
Thanks for the replies. I will try to have a look at the relays and connections to see what fruit that bears.

I'll see what I find out and post the results. Thanks again.

/ Kioti DK 45 - starter problem #4  
I checked my starter relay. (2008 DK45-sc) I actually have three identical relays on the heat shield directly in front of the fuel tank. The starter relay (in my case) was on the (tractor's) left side. It has a red wire (12 ga), a red wire with blue stripe (12 ga), a black wire (16 ga), and a blue wire with black stripe (16 ga). The red wire goes to the battery (always 'hot'). The red/blue wire goes to the solenoid - jumping between these wires should cause the starter to engage & spin - Make sure tractor is in neutral, and don't be near anything that turns! (fan belts, etc). The black wire goes to ground, and the blue/black wire goes through the clutch switch, to the ign switch, which ultimately gets it's power (for this particular circuit) from the PTO switch. It should be 'hot' when the ign switch is turned to "start" (if the PTO is OFF, and the clutch pedal is depressed) If your tractor has a hydrostatic transmission, then I am unfamiliar with what safety switch(es) you have.

If you have identical wires, & they are connected as above, (blue/black wire does go 'hot' when ign switch is turned to start) then the relay must be your culprit.

Good luck!

/ Kioti DK 45 - starter problem
Good News! I believe that my starter relay, if not identical to what Kioti Paul described, is at least very similar. It is mounted on the (tractor's) left side near the top of the fuel tank shield. I unplugged the harness connector from the relay and - MY GOODNESS - I can't believe it was working at all. The connector was packed full of crud, dust, dirt, grime, (you get the idea). I used a spade connector to and contact cleaner to clean it out and plugged it back up - tractor fires right up as it should.

My assumption is that the connection was so poor that there wasn't enough contact to get all the voltage/amperage to the solenoid as necessary.

Thanks for the advice. This just shows it's a good idea to carefully check all connections and grounds to make sure that they're good before assuming a component is bad.

I'm going to check my glow plug relay (right side of the fuel tank) to see if it needs a good cleaning out as well.

Once more, I appreciate the help offered - it was worth way more than what I paid for it!

Good luck and take care.