Kioti DK40se hst - log splitter?

/ Kioti DK40se hst - log splitter? #1  

southerniltractor

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40se HST with FEL, Simplicity Landlord, JD130
Greetings,

I've got a 2011 DK40se hst and I'm shopping for a 3 point log splitter. Based on my past wood splitting, I need a 27 ton or better splitter for the large oak and elm that often populates my woodpile. I went looking for a 3-point splitter and I'm not finding anything that can give me that kind of power with the 2600 psi my hydraulic system produces.

I'm about to give up on this tool and buy a stand alone splitter with a gas engine. Has anyone ran into this issue and how did you solve it?

Thanks,
Mike

/ Kioti DK40se hst - log splitter? #2  
Greetings,

I've got a 2011 DK40se hst and I'm shopping for a 3 point log splitter. Based on my past wood splitting, I need a 27 ton or better splitter for the large oak and elm that often populates my woodpile. I went looking for a 3-point splitter and I'm not finding anything that can give me that kind of power with the 2600 psi my hydraulic system produces.

I'm about to give up on this tool and buy a stand alone splitter with a gas engine. Has anyone ran into this issue and how did you solve it?

Thanks,
Mike

Considered the option, and ran into the same problem. I couldn't find a decent powered splitter that my hydro system would run. I decided I didn't want the tractor tied to the splitter anyway, and went with a stand alone that I pull behind the tractor, unhook where I need, and then the tractor is free. For me, the cost of a remote and splitter was the same as a stand alone.

/ Kioti DK40se hst - log splitter?
Thanks - I'm doing the same thing. Found a good stand alone splitter and buying tomorrow.

/ Kioti DK40se hst - log splitter? #6  
The choice for me came down to did I want my expensive tractor sitting there running and using more expensive diesel vs. a small displacement gas motor. Also, the smaller self contained unit could be moved around my wood pile easier than my tractor, less distance moving the logs to the splitter. Went to Tractor Supply Co and got a $1,000 unit with a 5 year warranty, and they would pick it up and deliver it if it broke. To me that was a guarantee of at least 5 years of splitting for $1K.

/ Kioti DK40se hst - log splitter?
I ended up going with an Ariens 27-ton splitter. The splitter is built in America and comes powered by a Subaru gas engine. I did look at some less expensive splitters at Rural King, and those were cheaper, but built in China.

I had my kids helping me split the other day and the Ariens made quick work of 12-18 inch diameter cherry and grunted just a bit while splitting the 2-foot diameter oak. The best part was watching my son operate this machine while I enjoyed a cool beverage! These kids are finally starting to pay off!