Kioti hydraulic fluid reference, NX filter reference

/ Kioti hydraulic fluid reference, NX filter reference #21  
Following up on my fluid change with Shell Rotella HD Tractor Fluid...

I've got about 14 hours on it so far and it's a LOT better than the fluid that was in the tractor when I got it, and better than the fluid that I'd gotten from the dealer (which was labeled Kioti).

Shifting is a lot better. Not noticing any difference in transmission whine (never really noticeable). I'm happy with this selection/decision.

/ Kioti hydraulic fluid reference, NX filter reference #22  
Hey all, I know this is an older thread, but if you're having issues getting fluid from buckets into your tractor, you can use a rotary hand pump that's meant for 55 gallon drums to transfer fluid pretty easily. Set the bucket on the ground behind the tractor, stick the rotary hand pump tube down into the bucket, put a hose on the end of the hand pump outlet and stick the other end in the trans fill port and start pumping away. The hand pump works great, and only takes a few minutes to transfer five gallons of fluid. You can get the hand pumps from HF or NT for less than $50.

/ Kioti hydraulic fluid reference, NX filter reference #23  
   / Kioti hydraulic fluid reference, NX filter reference #24  
Does Shell Rotella HD Tractor fluid meet Kioti specs? I'm trying to figure out (outside of personal opinion) aka legit hard facts if it does? The older manual says Shell Donax TD which isn't made any more apparently, then I see online in various forums something called Shell Spirax S4 TXM, which again I cannot find anywhere. I see Rotella HD Tractor fluid all over the place, did Shell just rename the stuff and Rotella HD is the new verion and Kioti just hasn't updated their manuals? I have a bucket of Napa Premium Tractor fluid NF 85405 but none of the specs listed in the tractor manual are printed on the side of the bucket for cross reference and I just want to be certain what I use is the correct fluid, I know certain gear boxes are picky. Anyone have the straight poop data from Kioti perhaps on this? I've messaged them last week with no response.

/ Kioti hydraulic fluid reference, NX filter reference #25  
Take this for what its worth (its worth nothing its just my opinion); my research on Universal Tractor Hydraulic Fluid (UTHF) leads me to believe that the over arching specification for UTHF is the John Deere JDM J20C formula.

If the UTHF fluid you are using states that it is recommended for, or meets or exceeds J20C requirements, then most likely you will have satisfactory performance in your tractors hydraulic system.

The caveat to what I stated above is that John Deere states that their Hy-Gard (summer) and Low-Viscosity Hy-Gard (winter) fluids both exceed the minimum requirements of their own J20C specification and they recommend only using their fluids in their equipment.

It would be nice to know what the J20C specification states as the minimum oil requirements, but I can't seem to locate the specification.

I could find on John Deere's site the minimum requirements for Hy-Gard. The Viscosity Index is the parameter that I like to use to compare oils because it tends to indicate the level of additives in the oil. The more additives, the higher the Viscosity Index, higher is better.

John Deere states 140 as the minimum viscosity index for the summer formula Hy-Gard.

Mobilfluid 424 viscosity index is 145
Shell Donax TD viscosity index is 142
Shell Rotella HD Tractor Fluid viscosity index is 138

I use Tractor Supply Company Traveller Premium UTHF in my tractor. Traveller does not list a viscosity index but they do recommend their fluid where J20C requirements are stated. If I was witnessing a lot of brake chatter or HST noise (I am not) I would probably switch to Mobilfluid 424.

Just my thoughts.

/ Kioti hydraulic fluid reference, NX filter reference #26  
Take this for what its worth (its worth nothing its just my opinion); my research on Universal Tractor Hydraulic Fluid (UTHF) leads me to believe that the over arching specification for UTHF is the John Deere JDM J20C formula.

If the UTHF fluid you are using states that it is recommended for, or meets or exceeds J20C requirements, then most likely you will have satisfactory performance in your tractors hydraulic system.

The caveat to what I stated above is that John Deere states that their Hy-Gard (summer) and Low-Viscosity Hy-Gard (winter) fluids both exceed the minimum requirements of their own J20C specification and they recommend only using their fluids in their equipment.

It would be nice to know what the J20C specification states as the minimum oil requirements, but I can't seem to locate the specification.

I could find on John Deere's site the minimum requirements for Hy-Gard. The Viscosity Index is the parameter that I like to use to compare oils because it tends to indicate the level of additives in the oil. The more additives, the higher the Viscosity Index, higher is better.

John Deere states 140 as the minimum viscosity index for the summer formula Hy-Gard.

Mobilfluid 424 viscosity index is 145
Shell Donax TD viscosity index is 142
Shell Rotella HD Tractor Fluid viscosity index is 138

I use Tractor Supply Company Traveller Premium UTHF in my tractor. Traveller does not list a viscosity index but they do recommend their fluid where J20C requirements are stated. If I was witnessing a lot of brake chatter or HST noise (I am not) I would probably switch to Mobilfluid 424.

Just my thoughts.
Thanks AWSubie. I got a reply from Shell today stating that Donax TD is obselete, replaced by Rotella HD Tractor fluid which is the exact same as Spirax S4 TXM. Not sure the difference or reason between Spirax S4 TXM and Rotella HD, internet searched show little availability in the US market for Spirax S4 TXM which leads me to think that stuff is a foreign marketing version maybe? Just a guess. Either way Rotella HD is available at the local TSC, I've used Rotella 15w40 for years in my Duramax and love it, I figure it's good enough for my home use tractor.

/ Kioti hydraulic fluid reference, NX filter reference #27  
I'm running the Rotella in my Kioti and it seems to be OK. Not sure if it's me or the fluid, but I am thinking I'm hearing more whining with the hydraulics than I recall.

Rotella 15w40 is now CK. Not the same formula as the CJ that most were familiar with: they signficantly cut out one key additive that I'm not willing to chance doing without for my "older" (pre CK oil era) diesels. I'm now running Ford HD Diesel oil as it's very close to the CJ-4 spec: Ford spec'd it for their PowerStrokes and apparently isn't signing off on the newer CK oils. I run this oil in my cars (ALH TDIs), truck (12v Cummins), tractors (2006 B7800 Kubota; 2016 NX5510HC Kioti [w/DPF; Kioti says OK to run CJ-4 oils), 2013 Polaris Brutus (Yanmar diesel) and my 1994(?) Onan/Cummins (Kubota diesel).

/ Kioti hydraulic fluid reference, NX filter reference #28  
Nearing time to change my hydraulic fluid. I'm thinking of going with something other than the Shell I'd used last time: I DO have a bit of whine (as AWsubie noted above, the viscosity on the Shell Rotella HD Tractor Fluid is a bit on the low side). Looking at this fluid (available from Autozone for about $100 5/gal, which is cheaper than Mobil 424). Meets J20C. Viscosity index is 176.

https://www.autozone.com/greases-an...etic-tractor-hydraulic-fluid-5gal/1193697_0_0

Spec sheet:
https://www.triaxlubricants.com/fil...UPREME_Synthetic_HTF_-_Data_Sheet_-_Email.pdf

Well, jumped the gun... Not available near me (it seems).

Able to get it via Amazon (also Ebay, though a bit more). While poking around I see that the Triax Agra Utto XL is a blend that specs well and is cheaper. Meets J20C. About $89/4 gal. Viscosity index is 154.

https://www.triaxlubricants.com/fil.../TRIAX_Agra_UTTO_XL_Tractor_Fluid_-_PDS-1.pdf

Last edited:
   / Kioti hydraulic fluid reference, NX filter reference #29  
I’ve been using Amsoil tractor/hydraulic fluid for 7 years now in my CK30HST and using UOA, last checked at 400 hours, it was good for continued use. I did change both filters and will test at 600 hours. Not the cheapest oil but now very reasonable with the extended drain. Works good in the bitter Ontario winter, quick hydraulics and HST, and no whining/chatter in the cold or hot weather. Viscosity index 171. I order it online and it shows up a couple of days later…😉 https://www.amsoil.com/p/synthetic-tractor-hydraulic-transmission-oil-sae-5w-30-ath/?zo=331384

Last edited: