Kodiak 6' Brush Hog: Gearbox Mount Bent

/ Kodiak 6' Brush Hog: Gearbox Mount Bent #1  

Sarge338

Tractor
Mahindra 2555
Good Evening Folks,

I have a situation that I am looking for a recommendation to resolve.

I was cutting my pasture a while back, and I hit something that did a number on my brush hog. I have some gouges in the underside of the deck, blade bolts are stripped, blade pan bolt holes are worn, and it appears that the surface on which the gear box is mounted is somewhat bent. In my elemantary troubleshooting, it seems to me that the clutch bolts were too tight and when I hit that... elephant, or whatever it was, rather than the clutch slipping, all of that torque went into damaging parts. I can see that the gear box twisted horizontally some, but it also appers that it has twisted, to some degree, vertically. So, rather than the gear box sitting 90 degrees to the top of the deck, it's sitting at 87 degrees or something like that (depending on which side you're measuring ;-) ). It's not enough that it stands out, but if you're looking for things that aren't right, like I was, you can see it.

So the question is, knowing that if the gearbox is sitting cattywampas, that means I am at a much greater chance of having continued deck strikes with the blades, how would you go about re-leveling that area where the gearbox mounts? I thought about the ole stud-welder and slide hammer, but this isn't exactly your standard sheet metal here. It is considerably thicker. I have considered leaving the "dent" in place, and just layering in some 7018. Then grind that back to level before reinstalling the gear box. I'm still pretty new to working on this kind of equipment, so I am deferring to the experts here.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

/ Kodiak 6' Brush Hog: Gearbox Mount Bent #2  
I would take the gear box off and pound the deck level , weld some reinforcements in put it back together and adjust the slip clutch.........:laughing:

/ Kodiak 6' Brush Hog: Gearbox Mount Bent #3  
You mentioned a slide hammer with studs, so it sounds as though you have some auto body background.
Along those thoughts what would body shims do for you? You are estimating 3 degrees out of level. I would be surprised with thin plate if you could get much closer than that beating on it. It is not sheet metal but steel plate.

/ Kodiak 6' Brush Hog: Gearbox Mount Bent
Shims could possibly work. I haven’t actually measured the amount that the gearbox is off, but like I said, if you look, you can see it isn’t square. My ultimate goal is to ensure that after replacing the blades and blade pan, that I don’t end up having to weld holes in the deck from continued blade strikes.

Thanks for the input folks!

/ Kodiak 6' Brush Hog: Gearbox Mount Bent #5  
Second that. Do you have an oxy-acetalyne torch? You'd be surprised what steel you can straighten out with some heat and a sledge hammer. I've messed my fair share of brush hogs up. Be sure the slip clutch is adjusted properly, but also check for shear pin. My Woods BH had a slip clutch and a shear pin. Make sure the pin is the proper grade, or it won't shear properly. I put the wrong grade bolt in one time and twisted the shaft right off the gearbox when I hit a stump :eek:

Jshwhite - I wish I had an oxy-fuel setup. I was telling my wife this week that I’ll have to invest in one next year. I have a multi-process box that has a plasma cutter function which I use for cutting, but it (of course) doesn’t help me for just heating metal like you are talking about.

My welding instructor always sung the praises of Victor oxy-fuel rigs. What would be your recommendation, for when I got shopping?

/ Kodiak 6' Brush Hog: Gearbox Mount Bent #7  
Victor 315fc is pretty much the gold standard torch. The old style victor regulators can be rebuilt, so don’t be afraid of used. The new style regulators work fine, but arent the quality of the old brass ones. The torches can be rebuilt as well.
New Victor stuff is expensive, but will last. A good used victor setup will cost more than a new off brand setup, but it will outlast you.

@3LFarms Thanks for the advice. I’ll keep and eye on Craigslist!

/ Kodiak 6' Brush Hog: Gearbox Mount Bent #9  
I just have some old (probably 40 years) Union Carbide regulators and a Harris torch. Nothing fancy, but my Dad gave them to me...can't complain about free! They've worked fine, but Victor would be nice.

IMG_3573.JPG

It appears that I was correct. 1/4” plate bent and cracked. It’s gonna be fun! LOL.