Kohler 7000 Series Popping through Carburetor

/ Kohler 7000 Series Popping through Carburetor #1  

GTSRider

Gold Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 3000
What would cause this on a Kohler 7000 series V-twin 26 hp ? ...it's quite bad , saw flames come out of carb , when I pulled off air filer box .

/ Kohler 7000 Series Popping through Carburetor #2  
I'm thinking timing. Maybe flywheel key sheared.
If it starts, sounds, revs up not like normal I would think timing is off.

/ Kohler 7000 Series Popping through Carburetor #3  
I would lean towards timing as well also the fuel.

/ Kohler 7000 Series Popping through Carburetor #4  
I would remove the valve covers and check the push rods to make sure they are still in place and check valve clearances before going through the operation of removing the flywheel to check the key which is very rare to be damged on riding mowers due to no direct drive that would cause shock loading to the engine. A dropped exhaust push rod would cause the same effect.

/ Kohler 7000 Series Popping through Carburetor #5  
One of those things that it ran good last fall, now it is doing it as you get it going this spring?

/ Kohler 7000 Series Popping through Carburetor #6  
Timing. bad gas, burned valve, blown head gasket, the causes are endless.

/ Kohler 7000 Series Popping through Carburetor #7  
I would remove the valve covers and check the push rods to make sure they are still in place and check valve clearances before going through the operation of removing the flywheel to check the key which is very rare to be damged on riding mowers due to no direct drive that would cause shock loading to the engine. A dropped exhaust push rod would cause the same effect.
In addition to the good advice provided in the above post by Randy T you may also Want to do a compression check.

/ Kohler 7000 Series Popping through Carburetor #8  
One thing that most owners never do is adjust the valve clearance on either Kohler or Kawasaki engines and valve clearance is critical.

/ Kohler 7000 Series Popping through Carburetor
I agree with you ...going to check valve clearance ... Thanks !