Kubota and John Deere Lawn tractors

/ Kubota and John Deere Lawn tractors #11  
The diff lock works very well on these units. I pull a hydraulic tiller with my 575 and when the dirt gets deep sometimes the rear wheel will break loose. before engaging the 4x4 I step on the lock up and it usually pulls it right out. Im not knocking the 495, I'm certain its a beast I've just become partial to 4 wheel drive. From your yard description I think you will love the 495. They are very capable. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Kubota and John Deere Lawn tractors #12  
Bob,

I do not think you would be disappointed in a two wheel drive tractor. I will tell you JD has done its homework on the X series, they will do things that will amaze you with two wheel drive. That said, if you are on the fence about going with four wheel drive, the option is not that great a cost, and would eliminate the issue from your mind. You might never need four wheel drive, but then again you might. One thing I have noticed owning five John Deere tractors, with a sixth on the way is that you will try things and do things with your machine you never thought you would. For example, I bought my original tractor to mow with, then wanted something to operate a small FEL, then wanted something to operate a big FEL then wanted something I could move big rocks and trees with and mow and move dirt and snow and pull heavy trailers and loads and smooth driveways and help my neighbors put in fence, etc. See, the possibilities are endless, so if that thought is creeping into your mind act on it now, don't wait, it gets more pricey later on.

John M

/ Kubota and John Deere Lawn tractors
Thank you everyone for taking the time to give me your valued advice. In the past two weeks I've sat on my hands and thought about what I really needed from a machine..........well late this afternoon I arrived home with my new X495 and had a little "play", I'm sure the machine will serve me well and I'm very happy with my decision. Even my wife seemed suitably impressed!
I was keen on the X595 even though it cost US$2600 more(!), but in the end I decided that it would be very rare for me to require the 4WD capability on my property.
Well back to reading the manuals and tomorrow I'll have another little "play". /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Thanks again!

Bob

/ Kubota and John Deere Lawn tractors #14  
Congrats. Always glad to find another member of the X495 owner's club. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

About the only two things that I can share:

1. For about the first 35 hours, I didn't realize that I had to have the throttle at 1/4 to 1/3 when cranking. This seems to remove the "whump" that I experienced when I cranked at low idle and then tried to idle up. Still don't know what caused that.

2. The manual states to do your initial oil change at 50 hours. Stay close to that, because machines come with what's called "break-in" oil. It's a bit lower grade, which allows more friction so seals, bearings, etc. can be seated properly. Make sure you work it, too. Heavy pulling, mowing, etc. This also helps the break-in process.

Keep on grinning. My Orange and Green fleet are the first things I've ever owned where the "new" hasn't worn off. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Kubota and John Deere Lawn tractors #15  
<font color="#666666"> GR2160 Lawn and garden tractor
JD X495 Lawn and garden tractor
BX1830. Sub Compact Tractor.

My choice over any one of these is the Kubota BX 1500 Sub Compact Tractor.

My local Kubota Dealer has a spring special on the BX1500 with a 48'' MMM and 60 '' rear blade for $7899. How does that compare with the prices you got on the GR2160
JD X495
And
BX1830 ?
</font>

/ Kubota and John Deere Lawn tractors #16  
<font color="blue"> In my opinion the 1830 beats that x495 hands down. </font>

<font color="red"> Of course it does because it's a subcompact but the x495 is just a garden tractor. </font>

/ Kubota and John Deere Lawn tractors #17  
<font color="blue"> Have you also considered the BX1500? I believe they are still produced (they're still on the website, anyway), and their price tag is a bit below the X495/BX line. </font>
`````````
I'll take the <font color="orange"> BX1500 </font> sub compact tractor over the <font color="green"> X495 </font> lawn and garden tractor any day especially if the price on the Sub Compact is less that the L&G .

LBrown59

The discount prices I was given for the following are in US$, all with 54" decks.

X495 $9600
X595 $12200
BX1500 Not avail. in Australia.
BX1830 $11600
BX2230 $13125

I had a few test drives of all the above machines and although I was not happy with the G2160, I think Kubota make great tractors and they have a very good reputation in this part of the world. The higher end of JD's product also has a good reputation here.

Yes I went the cheapest option, but in the end I felt all I needed was a strong and reliable machine that would mow 3.5 acres easily...... the X495 fits that requirement. I'm happy! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Kubota and John Deere Lawn tractors #19  
I do not know if these statements are necessarily true. I am not sure who said them initially in this thread, but I think there are some qualifications to these statements. I think four wheel drive is a great addition to any small tractor and Kubota makes some of the best. To call an X495 "just a garden tractor" is being condescending to a slight degree. I used my 595 for bucket work, landscaping, box blading snow removal and large volume mowing when I had it, and it performed great. Now, of course, it was similar to the Kubota in that it weighed about the same and had four wheel drive, but I can say for what Bob's uses were it is tough to beat an X series machine. I agree that with the lowering of prices and increasing features on the SCUT's of all brands, folks that are looking at a small tractor/mower should consider them, but they are not the best choice in all cases. I for one feel Bob made a nice decision and I would not dissuade him from that in the least. I want him to be and feel he will be happy with his decision.

John M

John M and ArkCivEngr thanks again for your advice. I spent a couple of hours yesterday on the X495 and enjoyed it, much...... much more capable than my old machine. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif