Kubota B2630 flipped on the left side

/ Kubota B2630 flipped on the left side #11  
Glad issue has improve,good time change oil and filter.

/ Kubota B2630 flipped on the left side #12  
That's good news! Keep a close ear on the sounds, hopefully all is good!

/ Kubota B2630 flipped on the left side #13  
Glad you are OK! Now that the initial shock is wearing off, go check the fluids. Might have leaked a little out.

/ Kubota B2630 flipped on the left side #15  
Hey guys,

We have a Kubota B2630 that flipped in on the left side an hour ago. Got it uprighted in about 30 mins and it was hard to crank. We did get it to crank with a lot of white smoke from the exhaust. Let it run for a few mins and the smoke cleared and everything seems to be fine. We have a small hill to the house and as I started uphill it started to smoke again from the exhaust but stopped smoking when I got off the hill. I parked it at a place where I can work on it if needed and I am a little worried that maybe something bad happened.
Let me know what you guys think and if I need to start tearing it down to check things.

The good things are
I didn't get hurt but the mental stress of a big repair bill and the horror of seeing your loved tractor on its side like a dead cockroach is almost too much pain to bear.
I didn't break my phone, hate buying overpriced phones.
I didn't break the new post hole digger
No one else seen me flip it but the wife and she will not tell anyone we know. Little embarrassed.
Thanks for the help
Trell
TrellBuilt,

Good to hear you walked away unhurt and from responses that your tractor is probably undamaged.

I am curious, if you don't mind my asking, how did the tractor get over on its side when land looks pretty level?

/ Kubota B2630 flipped on the left side #16  
TrellBuilt,

Good to hear you walked away unhurt and from responses that your tractor is probably undamaged.

I am curious, if you don't mind my asking, how did the tractor get over on its side when land looks pretty level?

Loader looks like it is pretty high. Adds to the tip over possibility.

Sounds like the OP got lucky as far as possible engine damage goes. I did too, ten years or so ago.

The issue with hydrolocking is more related to the PCV tubing, than leakage past piston rings, as I came to understand later.

What happens is crankcase oil can follow the PCV tubing and find its way into the cylinders, (whichever have a valve open) and when you turn the engine over, you can hydrolock, and bend a connecting rod, even if the engine does not start, just from the power of the starter motor.

Message is, if you tip your tractor over, take the glow plugs or injectors out, and turn the engine over to expel any oil that might have gotten into the cylinders. IF you do not do this, you might get lucky, or you might cause engine damage. Sounds like both the OP and I got lucky. I know I did.

Should I tip my tractor over again, which is HIGHLY unlikely I think, I will NOT take the chance and try to start it without ensuring that there is no oil in the cylinders.

/ Kubota B2630 flipped on the left side #17  
A bent rod will mean that cylinder has lower compression so it will smoke a bit. I hope you got lucky!

/ Kubota B2630 flipped on the left side #18  
What caused it to tip? I assume you had seatbelt on?

/ Kubota B2630 flipped on the left side #19  
Just a point of curiosity: I've heard that, about getting oil above the piston and then cranking and bending or breaking something, especially bending a rod. What I'm curious about is how a starting motor creates enough torque to bend a rod. I mean, the rod's straight, a casting with a ribbed cross section and not all that long, and it's designed to handle millions of loadings caused by the explosion of hot air fuel mixture. It ought to take a huge amount of torque to bend it by compressing its length, way more than the torque required for the compression stroke. And when cranking the engine, it's turning relatively slowly, so not a lot of inertia. Why in the world are starting motors so over designed that they could bend a rod???

/ Kubota B2630 flipped on the left side #20  
Just a point of curiosity: I've heard that, about getting oil above the piston and then cranking and bending or breaking something, especially bending a rod. What I'm curious about is how a starting motor creates enough torque to bend a rod. I mean, the rod's straight, a casting with a ribbed cross section and not all that long, and it's designed to handle millions of loadings caused by the explosion of hot air fuel mixture. It ought to take a huge amount of torque to bend it by compressing its length, way more than the torque required for the compression stroke. And when cranking the engine, it's turning relatively slowly, so not a lot of inertia. Why in the world are starting motors so over designed that they could bend a rod???
It's not just the power of the starter motor. It is the power of the rotating mass and the inertia it has, and how it is amplified by the mechanical advantage being multiplied at near top dead center. If you instantly stop the piston just before TDC, the crankshaft still may roll through if the rod slightly bends. Now, what if the previous cylinder ignites adding even more rotating mass speed to the equation? A person may not realize hydro lock just bent a rod.