Kubota BX 2200 - Tool for fuel filter removal and fuel line crimp

/ Kubota BX 2200 - Tool for fuel filter removal and fuel line crimp #1  

Sedge1

Tractor
Kubota BX2200
Friends, My BX 2200 suddenly stopped. It turns over but does not catch. There is plenty of fuel in the tank. It sounds like the fuel pump is still functioning. So I am wondering if the fuel filters are toast, and are inhibiting the flow of fuel, if that is what happens when they fail. I do not do any real maintenance on it, except fluids/oil filter, so this would be my first repair excursion. And, even if that is not the source, the filters are due, and I want to learn how to do some basic stuff.

So I understand that it can be a challenge to remove the fuel line from the filters, and that a spreader tool can help. And I would also need some sort of clamps to pinch the fuel lines to keep the fuel from bleeding out. I went to my local Tractor Supply today, and they had neither. And then to a local auto parts store, and struck out again. So I will have to order on line. And suggestions for both devices would be appreciated, as would any advice for this project.
Much obliged.
David

/ Kubota BX 2200 - Tool for fuel filter removal and fuel line crimp #2  
Pliers of the clamps are spring clamps.

/ Kubota BX 2200 - Tool for fuel filter removal and fuel line crimp #3  
I’m not a mechanic, but my homeowner experiences with tractors, skidsteers, zero turns, etc is that a sudden inability to start is most likely not caused by a dirty fuel filter.

Was it running fine before the day you were not able to start it?

/ Kubota BX 2200 - Tool for fuel filter removal and fuel line crimp #4  
IF fuel line is rubber.... Pinch it off with vice grips or stick a golf tee or pencil in it.... IF clamp on fuel line is just a spring clip, common pliers should work on it.... BUT fuel filter is probably not your problem if problem "suddenly" appeared....

1665367033306.png

1665367156739.png

/ Kubota BX 2200 - Tool for fuel filter removal and fuel line crimp
I’m not a mechanic, but my homeowner experiences with tractors, skidsteers, zero turns, etc is that a sudden inability to start is most likely not caused by a dirty fuel filter.

Was it running fine before the day you were not able to start it?
Thanks for responding. I was running the tractor for a few minutes when the engine just stopped. I was able to run it for several more minutes and it happened again. While it would turn over and catch, it would not continue to operate. I called my local Kubota dealer who suggested a potential fuel issue, and that the right place to start would be the fuel filters. I happen to have two of them (takes two) so I figured I'd give it a go, and save the $350, or so, that it would cost just to transport the tractor to the shop 55 miles away - plus the repair chrge. If that is not it, no harm done. Thanks for any other thoughts you might have.
David

/ Kubota BX 2200 - Tool for fuel filter removal and fuel line crimp #6  
I agree that a sudden stop could indicate some problem other than fuel. Difficult to say without actually hearing it happen. Replacing the filters is probably a good place to start, particularly if they are due.
Sudden engine shut down, like turning off the key, could also be from a failing safety switch. The seat switch is a common culprit, and can be intermittent. My ZD mower would sputter like it was running out of fuel, and ultimately the problem was a poorly adjusted seat switch that was rapidly going between connected / disconnected. If the filter change doesn't help try temporarily hardwiring the seat switch with a paper clip or short section of wire , or zip tie the switch plunger.
Borderline functioning Seat switches also become less reliable when the weather turns colder (yes, it can happen!). The seat material becomes less flexible and the marginally adjusted switch becomes problematic. BTDT.

You can also rule out the filters by confirming good fuel flow downstream of the filters. Disconnect the fuel line after the last inline filter, turn on the key, check for fuel flow.
Good luck.

/ Kubota BX 2200 - Tool for fuel filter removal and fuel line crimp #7  
You can get the filters on Amazon or from Messicks (Kubota) but they are a standard inline type. https://www.amazon.com/12581-43012-...cphy=9002459&hvtargid=pla-1146556515250&psc=1

Usually if its's a fuel issue it sputters/misses a bit before dying all together - meaning it comes on slowly not suddenly as you experienced. These are easy to change out - just open and slide the spring clamp back an inch, pinch the fuel line input with a pair of vice grips and change out the filter.

/ Kubota BX 2200 - Tool for fuel filter removal and fuel line crimp #8  
I agree that a sudden stop could indicate some problem other than fuel. Difficult to say without actually hearing it happen. Replacing the filters is probably a good place to start, particularly if they are due.
Sudden engine shut down, like turning off the key, could also be from a failing safety switch. The seat switch is a common culprit, and can be intermittent. My ZD mower would sputter like it was running out of fuel, and ultimately the problem was a poorly adjusted seat switch that was rapidly going between connected / disconnected. If the filter change doesn't help try temporarily hardwiring the seat switch with a paper clip or short section of wire , or zip tie the switch plunger.
Borderline functioning Seat switches also become less reliable when the weather turns colder (yes, it can happen!). The seat material becomes less flexible and the marginally adjusted switch becomes problematic. BTDT.

You can also rule out the filters by confirming good fuel flow downstream of the filters. Disconnect the fuel line after the last inline filter, turn on the key, check for fuel flow.
Good luck.
Yeah... Had that issue, a little "tweak" (bend) solved the problem...

/ Kubota BX 2200 - Tool for fuel filter removal and fuel line crimp
Sudden engine shut down, like turning off the key, could also be from a failing safety switch.
Thanks for the suggestion. But, if the seat safety switch is a feature that kills the engine when you "de-tractor," mine does not have such a switch. It remains running on or off. So that is one thing I can eliminate.
David