Kubota BX-25 Super Simple, Fast and Inexpensive Forks for the Bucket

/ Kubota BX-25 Super Simple, Fast and Inexpensive Forks for the Bucket #1  

PASiekmann

Tractor
Kubota BX25
I recently had the task of tearing down an above ground pool and deck. This included removing the in ground concrete from structural posts. The bucket on the BX-25 (according to specs) will list 510 pounds. The area inside the bucket is quite limited. I wanted a way to move much larger quantities of material. I looked at commercial forks for the bucket. First, I felt I would only need them for this one project (I later found out I was wrong :)) I also didn't want the expense of commercial forks along with having to store them and the fact that they are heavy. I thought for this project I will use 2X4s. I didn't even tell anyone because I thought they would laugh. Well, they worked perfectly! ------

I bought:
  • two 2x4's - 8 feet long
  • four 1/2" carriage bolts that where 4" long
  • four 1/2" nuts
  • four 1/2" washers
  • I utilized a scrape of plywood for more surface area. I use 4 woods screws to hold the plywood in place during use.

I have about $12 in the entire project. ---- I cut the 2x4s in half. For fabrication (it's so simple I think fabrication is too big of a word) I just clamped (pinched) them on the bucket so I could locate the holes. Each pair has two 1/2" holes drilled in them. The photos will be self-explanatory. These two forks will hold more than the tractor can lift! - I snug up the carriage bolts, pinching the forks onto the bucket with a cordless impact gun using a 3/4" socket on the nut. It takes all of 2 minutes to install them. They are light weight and easy to handle. When I installed this pool 25 years ago I hand dug out the deep end. (A lot of work!) I removed approximately 18 cubic yards of dirt at that time. I made a large mound in the backyard and planted wild flowers on it. It was very attractive. And, now that the pool was coming down I had the dirt to fill the hole back in. The BX-25 made this a simple and fun task. I have included a before and after picture of this project.

Additionally, one photo shows the forks being used to move a blue bucket full of water as I recently was transplanting lilacs. I find they are getting used far more than I expected. I also just used them to load a large piece of machinery into the back of a pickup truck. The equipment was secured to the setup with ratchet straps......Give them a try and OF COURSE never get under the elevated forks of any kind. Mechanical failure would cause serious injury or death....I have a saying. "If it's predictable, it's preventable." Don't get careless and end up getting hurt. Laugh if you wish but you will love this inexpensive addtion to your tractor.

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    817.7 KB · Views: 143
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    687.7 KB · Views: 133
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 96
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    164.5 KB · Views: 113
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    716.6 KB · Views: 114
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    792.4 KB · Views: 119
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    743.6 KB · Views: 128
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    805.4 KB · Views: 116
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    632.3 KB · Views: 121
  • 2020-09-16 16.37.07.jpg
    2020-09-16 16.37.07.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 207
   / Kubota BX-25 Super Simple, Fast and Inexpensive Forks for the Bucket #2  
Really clever idea. I had considered something similar. You confirmed it will work. Thanks for sharing.

/ Kubota BX-25 Super Simple, Fast and Inexpensive Forks for the Bucket
I'm glad you enjoyed it. It worked much better than I had anticipated. I had hoped that it would get me through the swimming pool demolition project but I now use it often. I didn't mention this in the original post but you will see 2 small 2 x 4 blocks mounted on top of the forks inside the bucket. When I have a lot of brush from trimming lilacs and trees, etc I prop another piece of plywood vertically. I secure it with a ratchet strap because it's quick and simple. That keeps things from toppling over onto the tractor. I think you can see it in one of my pictures.....I suspect you have a larger more powerful tractor. Perhaps you could add a 3 fork to make lifting heavier items possible.-- Regards, Pete Siekmann, West Chicago, IL.

/ Kubota BX-25 Super Simple, Fast and Inexpensive Forks for the Bucket #4  
Have you had any problem with the forks coming loose? It looks like they could just slide off. That is an idea I will file away for later use.

Doug in SW IA

/ Kubota BX-25 Super Simple, Fast and Inexpensive Forks for the Bucket
Hi Doug,

No, when I use the cordless impact gun it tightens the forks up really, really well....There is no problem there....I hope you enjoy it.

Pete