Kubota - Does 0% financing mean they have high markup

/ Kubota - Does 0% financing mean they have high markup #1  

ecoslik

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740 HST with LA854 loader and QA, top and tilt, 1 front and 3 rear remotes, foamed rear tires
0% for 7 years ......... there's either a **** of a lot of profit , or the
Company is trading in the red .

I have seen this comment many times and thought it deserved a little research ...

If you figure that typical interest would be compounded annually and the annual rate might be in the range of 7%-10% ... the comparable effect if they charged interest but lowered the price would be a price reduction of about 13%-16%. The volume of this promotional/financing activity represents less than 1% of Kubota's annual operating expenses. Unfortunately, the money that makes it possible to offer 0% comes from a different source than what it would take to make it possible to just lower the price at the dealership; besides, it is the specific goal of Japanese monetary policy to keep prices stable (not discounted).

Manufacturers of heavy equipment typically have 10%-30% (depending on competition and inflationary/deflationary pressures) margin on sales (operating "profit" that is pretax, pre-amortization, pre-interest). In looking at Kubota's financial filings for 2010 that analyze 2009, there was approximately 20% and 30% decline in demand for equipment under 40HP and over 40HP, respectively.

Kubota had approximately a 7.5% operating profit. This rate includes the cost of the "zero interest" promotion. In my judgment, there is neither high profit built into the tractor nor is there a relatively high cost of this promotion.

Disclaimers:
(1.) I only spent a few minutes looking over a 100 page report, so I may have made mistakes or not have been thorough.
(2.) Kubota shareholders are dominated by Japanese banks (at least 30% of total ownership), and the Japanese government still has large ownership stakes in these banks as a result of Japan's own bank failure and prolonged recovery of the 1990's. This promotional/financing activity is wholly owned activity of Kubota, but I suspect that the availability of such cheap debt is a pass-through of the nearly 0% interest that is and has been available to/from the shareholders/government for nearly 14 years of their economic recovery.

/ Kubota - Does 0% financing mean they have high markup #2  
I shaved 4k off of the kubota website price by paying cash up front if that gives you some figures to work with when I got that 5740.
I'm not about to go into debt with an economy that is a hair away from becoming worthless.

/ Kubota - Does 0% financing mean they have high markup
Just guessing ... $4k would be about 13% off MSRP. Very cool.

We bought our 5740 used and realized the savings that goes with that territory.

I agree with you about personal debt; as Dave Ramsey says it .... FREEEEEEDOM!

/ Kubota - Does 0% financing mean they have high markup #4  
We considered financing our M8540, but got an additional $1000 by paying cash. We have no payments and really didn't want any.

There was a thread not long ago in which people who paid cash were essentially called foolish. At my age, I just hate to finance, not that there is anything wrong with it. I sure had to do it most of my life.

/ Kubota - Does 0% financing mean they have high markup #5  
Well--- I owe on 2 things the house and my new Kubota L3240 with 0%. The price was 12% lower than the website MSRP price. I could have got it for$1000 cheaper if I would have paid cash. That equals to about 2.4% rate over 60 months. Not bad money.. I dont finance many things but at 42yrs old one has to keep a good credit rating and this doesnt hurt. 2 kids - one 10yr and 12yrs old means that I will have college to pay for so borrowing money will always be something that I will have to do. BUT I am a STRONG believer on keeping your finacing down to one or two things and nothing more. Simply done- paid the wifes car off last year- contiuned to put that payment in MY bank waiting on the day I need to replace it.

AndyG

/ Kubota - Does 0% financing mean they have high markup #6  
I did shop for a good deal - I did get a good deal. End of story.

If there is a mark up or not; issue is mute. The price and the method in which I obtained it; whether it be financed or paid cash; is also mute. At the end of the day (and hindsight is always 20/20) my tractor is so much fun and messing around on my land is so much fun - I just don't give much thought to anything else.

My father fought in WWII, went to college, got his masters and then his JD, then worked his life away 10-12 hour days, making conservative investments, eating chicken breast and catfish (while my mom ate surf & turf)... then he got Alzheimers, Dementia and faded away.

I'm not going out like that. I'm not. I got me a tractor... I got me some land... I'm gonna have me some fun! He taught me many lessons. One of which is - get passed the dollar signs - Enjoy Life.

Kubota - Does 0% financing mean they have high markup - It is simply none of my business. Plus I'm too content to think about it :)

/ Kubota - Does 0% financing mean they have high markup #7  
I shaved 4k off of the kubota website price by paying cash up front if that gives you some figures to work with when I got that 5740.
I'm not about to go into debt with an economy that is a hair away from becoming worthless.

I saved a little over 4.5K off website price and financed at zero % with nothing down, free delivery and parts only 50 hour service on my L3700SU package.

I don't see that you actually saved anything by paying cash on your deal when compared to mine with no cash outlay at purchase.

/ Kubota - Does 0% financing mean they have high markup #8  
Interest rates as measured by Prime Rate, bank passbooks, go ahead, you name it, are in the sewer. .5%-1.5%. If Kubota or anyone else tried making 8% off new tractors, their sales would be laughable.
There simply is not BIG interest to be made by me or anyone else, including Kubota. Sure, there a 1% or 2% swing sometimes in price by financing versus paying cash, but again, not very dog gone much. On my recent deal the difference was $700.

OK, then for a 13K loan, paid back for 5 or 6 years, let's just say 700 bucks in interest. Whoop-de-doo. Chicken feed.

This issue is non starter. Do what you need to personally do. Enjoy life, indeed.

/ Kubota - Does 0% financing mean they have high markup #9  

If there is a mark up or not; issue is mute. The price and the method in which I obtained it; whether it be financed or paid cash; is also mute. At the end of the day (and hindsight is always 20/20) my tractor is so much fun and messing around on my land is so much fun - I just don't give much thought to anything else.

My father fought in WWII, went to college, got his masters and then his JD, then worked his life away 10-12 hour days, making conservative investments, eating chicken breast and catfish (while my mom ate surf & turf)... then he got Alzheimers, Dementia and faded away.

I'm not going out like that. I'm not. I got me a tractor... I got me some land... I'm gonna have me some fun! He taught me many lessons. One of which is - get passed the dollar signs - Enjoy Life.

Kubota - Does 0% financing mean they have high markup - It is simply none of my business. Plus I'm too content to think about it :)

IthinkIcan; you are a wise man. If we wait till we can pay for everything, we will be too old to enjoy it. I am a firm believer in living within your means, but its easy for Dave Ramsey to say what he does(he's rich) If you work 50 hours a week and manage your money well why can't you have a tractor, truck, motorcycle, whatever. Live a little before you die.

/ Kubota - Does 0% financing mean they have high markup #10  

The very same thing happened to my favorite uncle last year, he was more like my brother. He always wanted a motorcycle, ATV, tractor, but kept putting it off. Early onset Alzheimer's Disease got him.

You seem to have a balanced approach to life.