Kubota Excavator

/ Kubota Excavator #51  
I believe it is a superior product if for no other reason then the bucket takes a lot longer to get noisy, has to be a good thing.
What am I missing here? Buckets should be greased daily.

The benefit is that I used to change oil spring and fall regardless of hours ( always way below the recommended hour change interval anyway) Now I change the oil in all but my truck once a year and save the labour and material cost and believe I have a superior product in my motors.
You have the option of saving even more. Sample your oil and change by analysis. Lots of folks, including myself, do it religiously. Not uncommon to get 800 hr. oil change intervals on four-stroke engines.

/ Kubota Excavator
I used to grease mine twice a day to keep it real quiet. Now once a day unless I am in to some serious rock. Probably was overkill but I don't mind.

You are absolutely right about getting longer service from the oil.
The oil change interval of one year is long enough to prevent the acids in the oil from possibly becoming an issue IMO. If I was going 800 or even 300 hours a year of use I would be doing oil analyzes regularly, but in my case the oil cost is not a lot more than an analyzes and I put low hours on yearly. Also I have so many things to do I like to try and keep it simple. I just dedicate a couple days once a year, instead of twice a year as previously, and do all of my equipment and know that they are all major serviced/oil changed. Changing oil also gives me a reason to go over the whole machine looking for other problems. Again probably overkill but I don't mind.

Twenty plus years as an gas, air and electric tool tech, habits are tough to break:) When I was taught the trade I was always told to try and make it better than it was before, if possible and reasonable. Some days I still curse that guy (teacher, employer) when my employees are saying good enough and I say spend the extra time and do a better job, on my dime:confused:.

Although when I sell a piece of equipment I usually get top dollar because people know how I look after my gear, overkill.

/ Kubota Excavator #53  
Thanks for the thread and updates, keep them coming. Especially the maintence details like what oils and greases you are using, number of hours and how the Kubota is holding up. I just picked up a little Kubota mini ex and the insight is appreciated.

/ Kubota Excavator #54  
Close to 9 years later. Wondering if you still have the excavator and how it has faired as it aged. I bought a KX033-4 the replacement model for your KX91-3. I bought used with 534 hours as it's what I could afford. Hope your KX91 is still going strong and getting the job done for you.