Kubota F warning lights

/ Kubota F warning lights #1  

Hay Dude

Super Star Member
Tractor
Challenger MT655E, Massey Ferguson 7495, Challenger MT535B, Krone 4x4 XC baler, Kubota F3680 & ZD331 Ram 5500 Cummins 4x4, IH 7500 4x4 dump truck, Kaufman 35’ tandem 19 ton trailer, John Deere CX-15
Hey guys, my F has been being used for roadside mowing for our biggest customer. I really want some warning lights as the road side has people blowing by us by double the speed limit by sometimes just a foot.
So it comes down to type of light and mounting location.
We always run with roll bar angled to get under trees.

Suggestions? I tried a magnetic strobe and it was ripped off and broken in 2 days.
I was thinking the sides of the lower permanently vertical part of the roll bar, but they could be ripped off if on the outside and they’re kinda low in that spot.

If I left the roll bar “up” it would be easy to mount lights, but can’t get under trees.

1632567566385.jpeg

/ Kubota F warning lights #2  
Could you run the magnetic lights to the top of the mower? Can you get some cones or a sign like the road crews use. Park your tow vehicle with the flashers going.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Kubota F warning lights #3  
You would think mounting locations on mowers would be easy...
I agonized over the mounting location of a simple SMV triangle for several years on my ZD mower. Ended up bolting it through the thick vinyl on the back of the seat and adding industrial double stick tape.
Back to lights though, if I were mounting a strobe I would look at the stronger rare earth type magnets and fabricate a mount on the hood. I use 200lb magnets to carry my string trimmer and they are more than adequate.

/ Kubota F warning lights #5  
Can you rotate your ROPS to the rear to fold it down? If so, mount warning lights to the top of the ROPS, so that when it's folded to the rear, they are clearly visible and protected from low hanging branches.

/ Kubota F warning lights #6  
Really dread having to mow, spray or road a tractor for the reasons you cited. Use lights, SMV placard, mirrors, curtesy and still get the bejesus scared out of me.

Even if you not in the road, mowing in the right of way may require SMV placard. Might help for any insurance claim for a contractor.

Truck and Tow has daylight quality flashers. Expensive and still require some custom mounting.

/ Kubota F warning lights #7  
I have not taken time to do the web search but there are MANY very bright LED light bars on the market of umpteen different sizes and surely they could be mounted on the already-folded ROPS such that they point to the rear. If nothing else use big hose clamps. Instead of powering it from a solid 12v power source , I suggest tapping in to the existing flasher wiring on your tractor. The circuit will most likely easily stand the low current draw of LEDs and that would produce a flashing bright light impossible to miss.

If you lack flashers on the original machine, go to an auto parts place and buy a flasher kit (I think Tractor Supply sells them too.)

AND you might be amazed what is out there for bikes. I have a (maybe too small) very bright LED set of red flashers that mount by rubber stretchy strap onto the bike seat post. So use 3 or 4 !! They offer you solid, blinking, scanning left and right and combos of the above to suit yourself, all selected at the push of a button. They are powered by rechargeable battery and recharge using a USB cable port on any PC, laptop or cell phone charger. They run for many hours on a charge -- seem to go forever.

/ Kubota F warning lights
Wonder if 2 rectangular blinking strobes would be good here?
1632621475922.jpeg

/ Kubota F warning lights #10  
My JD F935 equivalent tractor with the 76" deck is in the same boat. My rear discharge deck is greatly offset to the left. I have put reflective strips on the edge of the deck and the bright white LED lights on the rear bumper. I also fastened the yellow guide sticks used on snow plows horizontally off the lift arms to project a wee bit more overhang to traffic coming from behind. A wide area rear view mirror is useful, too. My Garmin has a route recording camera to show the moron who hits me in living color. The deck WILL definitely punch out a tire if one were to hit it and their wheel will not be reuseable, and I happen to know this from experience. If I see a vehicle coming up from behind a bit too close for comfort I carry a side discharge pavement marking can of orange paint which has been known to go off accidently on purpose. This has been know to shear off tire valve stems up to a week after exposure if and when I find a suspect in the neighborhood. It's really highly corrosive apparently.