Kubota G-series How many hours is "too many"?

/ Kubota G-series How many hours is "too many"? #1  

trueg50

Tractor
Kubota B2601
I've got a cheap rear engine ride on mower with a 30" deck, and moved to a property with ~1-2 acres to mow. Now that mowing time takes 1.5 hours I'm thinking its time to step up. I love my B2601, but a loader, fluid filled tires etc.. and wet ground make for a tractor I don't want to stick a MMM on.

I've started looking at some used lawn tractors on Craigslist and saw a G2160 for $2,500 with 1300 hours. They seem to have used it for plowing, trimming and of course mowing. When looking at the Kubota Diesel tractors what do you consider 'high-hours"? Is 1300 getting to be to the point where the machine will be a money pit?

/ Kubota G-series How many hours is "too many"? #2  
If the tractor mower has been properly serviced 1300 hours should not be a big deal, but I would suggest looking for a better mower since you already have a compact tractor.

I would take a look at used 60 - 72" front deck Diesel engine mowers, or depending if the yard is smooth perhaps so-called zero turn mowers where you are sitting above the deck.

My personal preference by far is a front deck style mower.

/ Kubota G-series How many hours is "too many"? #3  
The regional medical center hear has a G2160 with the rear chute bagger and a few years ago they ordered a new deck for it and it is not any where worn out and it mows every day. The G2160 with 60 inch deck we have was new in 2007 and we have around 500 hours on it. The ones around here that you do not want are the ones used for mowing on the christmas tree farms they rack up lots of time in 7-10 years and then they sell them.

/ Kubota G-series How many hours is "too many"? #4  
It really all depends on how it was maintained by the previous owner(s). I have seen Kubota and Yanmar diesels with 4000 to 6000 hours on them and still running just fine. Using a high quality oil and filter with proper change intervals, keeping the whole thing clean, both engine block and tractor/HST housing. Dirt and grime buildup let things run hotter than normal and reduce the service life span. If the mower appears to be well kept, clean, starts easily when cold with minimal blow by when cold and hot and the HST is strong both cold and hot. Then higher hours would not scare me, higher hours just make me do my homework even more when inspecting a tractor prior to making an offer or purchase. Mike