kubota g4200 power failure NEED HELP!!

/ kubota g4200 power failure NEED HELP!! #1  

stripercity

My G4200 is running out of power off and on. It runs great for a little bit and I mean only a few minutes then it runs out of power and will barely pull its own weight. Then after a while its ok again for a few minutes. Is this just a fuel filter problem? I dont know much about diesels and need help. Thanks in advance

/ kubota g4200 power failure NEED HELP!! #2  
It can be several PIA items;

1. A plugged vent in the gas tank cap

2. The fuel inlet from the tank to the motor has sucked crap into the inlet or screen

3. The rubber hose from the tank has collapsed or has debris plugging it and affecting the gravity feed while operating at high idle

4. A plugged fuel filter

5. The fuel system has a breech sucking air-(you will see fuel leaking at
fittings on the engine) or under the tank entering the fuel line.

if its not number 1 or 2, it has to be 3, 4 or 5 if its fuel related not counting water in fuel.

Or the air filter is plugged which is the last resort item-
The filter restriction inidicators are not fool proof, and no no dont bang it to clean it!!!!!!!!!!!! and be sure to wipe the dust out of the filter housing before you put the air filter back.

For what its worth I tell everyone to install a Racor diesel fuel filter with the clear sediment bowl which also has the turbine that gets rid of the dirt and crap down to 5 microns and they work, yes they are expensive and they are worth every penny because they stop dirt and water from advancing into the injection pump of the diesel engines.

They are passive and allow full fuel flow with no issues and the filters will trap dirt to the point where it will stop an engine dead with no bypass- been there done that- it works!

leonz

Last edited:
   / kubota g4200 power failure NEED HELP!!
thank u very much. Ill check all theses things starting with the filters. sounds like it shouldnt be anything major. is that the case?

Well I changed the back filter by the tank and it ran great for about an hour then started with the same thing. I guess I'll be draining the tank and starting from scratch.

/ kubota g4200 power failure NEED HELP!! #5  
I hope you did not think I was trying to throw mud at your lawn mower,
its usually the simplest things that affect a diesels performance if it is direct injection diesel which most if not all the Kubotas are, and they will not die completely if there is even the smallest bit of diesel being pumped into the cylinder head of the engine where the indirect injection diesel will stop completely as the fuel system is passive where unused fuel is pumped back to the tank and keeps it hot and avoids waxing and gelling up where the direct injection units do not unless they have a fuel pre heater or are stored in a warm shop.

I would still go ahead and buy a Racor filter unit with the turbine that way you can feed the filter with a larger line if desired with no issues other than buying the fittings fromn the diesel shop.

you will have a lot less smoke from the exhaust too by installing a racor diesel fuel filter.

They make fuel filters for gas engines too but they have to use a steel bowl for the sediment and water.

/ kubota g4200 power failure NEED HELP!! #6  
remember that most G series have both an inline filter at the back, and the main fuel filter at the front

/ kubota g4200 power failure NEED HELP!! #7  
Joec I think you've said it right . My 4200 has acted that way before i started a regular maintenace schedule on it . Yep there is a filter back right behind the tire and a bowl type up by the pump . Hope this helps

/ kubota g4200 power failure NEED HELP!! #8  
Today I got a G4200 HST tractor off Craigslist. No MMM, No 3-pt.

I'm wondering if I can find a MMM or 3pt from someone parting one out, or if I should just part this one out. It reported starts and run, but I've got to get a battery for it.

If you decide to part it out let me know. I might want some parts if youre close or if you dont mind shipping. Thanks everyone 4 the help. I changed the filter the first time and the second time when I took it apart there was no fuel in the filter. It seemed it had gotten vapor locked. I mowed for over an hour with it and it seems fine so far.

/ kubota g4200 power failure NEED HELP!! #10  
Stripercity, I'm going to suggest something new because my Kubota G1800 has the identical problem. Sometimes it runs like a dream and other times it stumbles and stumbles before the engine picks up and runs normally. I have been investigating this problem and found several people who say the problem is the fuel pump. I have been on vacation and have just returned, so I will be ordering my fuel pump next week. Messicks.com has your fuel pump in stock, three of them. That tells me that this is a pretty common replacement item since they only stock the parts they sell the most of. Here is the info. It's pretty expensive, but if if cures your problem, it will seem like a bargain.

Part Number 68371-51210
Vender Kubota
Price $84.37
Stock Quantity 3

Replaced by
Replaced part#15231-52030, 15231-52033