Kubota Gray Paint

/ Kubota Gray Paint #11  
A follow-up on the paint from Ace Hardware. I took the formula in this thread to my Ace hardware for a quart of gray paint. The first store told me that Ace is phasing out the oil paint and they didn't have the equipment to mix it. They called a second store that still had the required machine and I headed 20 miles over there. When I got there, they found that they were out of the base tint. They located some base at a store about 4 miles away so I went and got the base and brought it back to be mixed.

I was told they have a water based equivalent but the formula for the oil based paint won't work for it.

My suggestion is to call ahead with all the details for your needs because many of the stores can't mix the oil base anymore.

By the way, the color is dead on.

/ Kubota Gray Paint #12  
Sherwin Williams can color match a nice oil-based enamel paint that would probably work well if the Ace stuff is hard to find now. Usually a lot cheaper than buying factory paint. I got some to color match some gray metal roofing, and it cost less for a quart than the metal roof company wanted for a small touchup bottle.

/ Kubota Gray Paint #13  
The oil based paint from Ace is called Rust Stop and is made for metal/equipment. They told me they could mix an oil based house paint but weren't sure how it would hold up on metal. Since you took a metal sample in to match, the Sherwin Williams may be be a paint intended for metal. But there is oil based house paint out there, too. I'm not a paint expert so I have to rely on those who know, however biased their opinion is.

/ Kubota Gray Paint #14  
The oil based paint from Ace is called Rust Stop and is made for metal/equipment. They told me they could mix an oil based house paint but weren't sure how it would hold up on metal. Since you took a metal sample in to match, the Sherwin Williams may be be a paint intended for metal. But there is oil based house paint out there, too. I'm not a paint expert so I have to rely on those who know, however biased their opinion is.

I almost always use factory paint but I did use Ace Rust Stop on some wheels and it was absolutely beautiful, has held up well and looks as good as last year when I used it.

/ Kubota Gray Paint #15  

This was the S-W paint I got, very good stuff for metal:

http://www.sherwin-williams.com/hom...y=exterior-paint-coatings/paint/&N=1131783261

They also have a water-based enamel that is probably OK too (the key being "enamel" more than the base type). Both products are different from their house paints. Generally the enamel paints are the ones to use on metal and other surfaces, so be looking for "enamel" in the name when shopping around, regardless of the brand. That generally means a harder shinier surface due to the addition of a resin or varnish. So they will stand up better to hard/outdoor use on multiple surface types.